"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: The Seven Swords of Wayland  (Read 10978 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
The Seven Swords of Wayland
« on: 2011-04-08, 14:42:34 »
I don't know how many folks here are/were fans of the 1980's BBC "Robin of Sherwood" series. I used to love this show. It took a few episodes for me to get hooked, with my more modern Hollywood-programmed short attention span. But where I grew up in MD, they would air episodes weekly on public television. Needless to say, I have the DVD set now. :)

Anyway, Robin's sword was named "Albion" and was described as one of the "seven swords of Wayland". In one of the later episodes, the other six are found (and eventually destroyed). Each of them had a unique name, but a similar appearance except for the blade engraving.

Wayland the Smith is a figure from European mythology. Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_Smith

There is a location that was linked to being his smithy by the Saxons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland%27s_Smithy

Here's a page that has some findings on the origins of the names of all seven swords: http://www.flemingmultimedia.com/Saxon/swords.html

And a page with information on the props and production: http://www.robinofsherwood.org/swords.html

For years now, after seeing all of this, I thought it would be cool to put together a collection of swords, each engraved with the name of a knightly virtue. A set of "swords of virtue", if you will. How cool would that be?
« Last Edit: 2011-04-08, 14:46:40 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: The Seven Swords of Wayland
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-08, 16:40:54 »
That would be quite an undertaking...because if you're embodying each the knightly virtues in swords they can't be entry- or mid-level swords.  Definitely a longterm project...which reminds me, I've always wanted one sword to represent 'Honor'...the Honor sword. 

That'll have to be a custom piece I think.  Keep us posted, Sir Edward...as with all things medieval, we eagerly await it to begin.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-08, 22:37:41 »
That sounds like a very neat idea, and as Sir William said, I wouldn't use cheap wallhangers for it.

One of my future projects is to translate "I belong to the warrior in which the old ways have joined the new" into latin, and inscribe that into a higher end sword. It's a quote from "The Last Samurai", but it feels especially fitting in our context too.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-09, 03:46:13 »
hmmm hehe the 7 warlords of Modern Chivalry. each with his own sword of Wayland eeheeh

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-09, 23:42:35 »

Yeah, for it to be affordable, I think it would have to be each member of the forum making a sword with a different virtue. The set would only be reunited at group events. :)

Otherwise, I think the only way I could afford to do it myself would be with wall-hangers.

And... I cringe at the thought of sending an Albion sword back to Albion to have it repaired after a botched engraving attempt. Yikes. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-11, 12:15:59 »
Sir Edward...I believe we'd ALL cringe at the thought.  Besides, Albion can do the engraving - they do it well, if my sword's any indication. 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-04-11, 16:34:46 »
Sir Edward...I believe we'd ALL cringe at the thought.  Besides, Albion can do the engraving - they do it well, if my sword's any indication. 

Hmm.... pictures? :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-11, 17:28:31 »
A while back, Albion actually made a Robin of Sherwood "albion" sword for someone. They had posted on facebook a few pictures of the blade engraving. So I guess you're right. I don't know how easily they can be talked into doing custom work though.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-11, 17:38:02 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-11, 17:52:18 »
Sir James, I have a generic stock photo...might take some later so you can get a better idea.  The scabbard for my sword is finally finished and I should be getting it this week!!!

Sir Edward, I think they'd be amenable...so long as it wasn't too artsy, you know?  I dunno...but I'd be willing to ask Mike about it when I get back from lunch.

Forget the stock photos, here's some of mine- apologize in advance for the poor quality, these were taken with my phone which is NOT the latest and greatest of camera phones.  You will also note that I have almost no eye for this stuff...I can imagine it but for some reason what I see in my mind's eye and what I end up with are two totally different animals.  Says something about what's in my head but I dare not speculate.  lol
« Last Edit: 2011-04-11, 19:46:27 by Sir William »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-11, 18:57:18 »
Sir Edward, could you show me how you get your images to show as thumbnails and when you click on them, they magnify?  Mine look superhuge in comparison.  LOL

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2011-04-11, 19:37:17 »
Ahh, for that I'm just including them as attachments on the message. It's in the "Additional Options" that you can click on below the text-box when typing a message.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-04-11, 19:46:46 »
Done; thanks!