"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: The Knights of the Swords of Chivalry  (Read 9732 times)

Sir Ancelyn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Lux Lucet in Tenebris
    • Thoughts from Firethorn
Re: The Knights of the Swords of Chivalry
« Reply #15 on: 2011-03-26, 13:20:26 »
Looks like this weekend is no good for outdoor stuff. I'll just stop by and say hello today.

Sir Ancelyn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Lux Lucet in Tenebris
    • Thoughts from Firethorn
« Reply #16 on: 2011-03-26, 23:30:16 »
Here is my promised report. The Knights of the Swords of Chivalry is a small but dedicated group of who demonstrate a particular style of English performance swordsmanship.  It is telegraphed style rather than choreographed to allow for a more spontaneous performance. Also if one of the members is off their game or just keeps being hit they can switch the winner and loser and move along. Aside from helmets which they buy already made they make their own armor from 18 gauge steel and their harness is typically 100 lbs or a bit more. The group was just starting practice after a long winter hiatus and was happy to have visitors and possibly new blood. I think there are about 8 members, maybe a few more. They make use of a number of different lengths and styles, two swords at once being a favorite of several members. Their longsword demonstration is what they use to draw a crowd as the steel they use, not stainless, rings like bells in a Christmas concert when they are doing it right. Besides armoring they also make clothes, furniture, and are even planning to make a “wagon wheel” tent.  I was impressed with their enthusiasm and skill in their style, although I am not sure if it is right for me as I am learning a completely different style of swordsmanship. So they are definitely worth a visit, but call ahead first if you want to drop in.

Pax Exunt!

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2011-03-28, 18:32:10 »
Most of that sounds good, but I'm confused how an 18 gauge steel harness can be 100 lbs. I would say italian/english style would be along the lines of 70-80 lbs, and gothic style might be as low as 60 lbs. They sound extremely handy in being able to fabricate such a wide array of things - I wish I had half that skill set.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #18 on: 2011-03-28, 18:39:31 »

I noticed that too. It would take a an awful lot of armor to add up to 100 lbs with only 18g steel. My plate kit is about 50 lbs (without the helm) and is mostly 16g, and I'm really only missing the greaves and sabatons.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #19 on: 2011-04-01, 18:14:14 »
glad u at least tried :)