"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: New Year, New Kits  (Read 22246 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: New Year, New Kits
« Reply #45 on: 2013-01-15, 16:30:38 »
Its nice- but then again its made for me, its almost double in weight from my current harmess though, I was a bit suprised by that. Sorry about the pics, I really compressed them to save bandwidth, I get some pictures that better show it off.

I am soon starting on another kit- this next one will be leather, a new material for me as armor. Thanks to everyone for your encouragement.

Little late but outstanding craftsmanship, Sir Robert. :) :) Love the style you created for your kit. Nothing wrong with admonishment as your skill is apparent. Well-done & well-crafted Sir!! Hope we meet in near future.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Robert

• Sir Robert
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • A leasanna a chosaint agus
« Reply #46 on: 2013-01-18, 16:05:47 »
Well its another year...

This year I am currently building a new kit for my squire, and not as far along as I would like, but still....

So his kit will be limited to Gorget, Cuirass, fauld, buff arming coat, pauldron, rerebrace,vembrace, tassets, and maybe cuisse, so all in all 3/4 armor.

My target will be flexibility, weight, and ease of wearing, he is only 12, but nearly my height already, surly not his last set of armor.

As it progresses I will share pictures. I only have the Gorget, and Curass formed out right now and have to go looking for some brass....

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #47 on: 2013-01-18, 18:02:34 »
Sir Robert, looking forward to seeing it
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #48 on: 2013-01-18, 20:30:37 »
With this new year, I also am resolved to get my Kit finally underway this year.

Type: 14th Century, Crecy-Poitiers Era. 

Helmet: Houndskull Bascinet (yes I am joining Sirs Ian and Nathan and maybe making the Three Houndskulls  ;)) with aventail.
Spaulders
Churburg Breastplate without stop rib.  Type #14.
14th Century Arms and Legs.
Hourglass Gauntlets
Frontal Greaves (or Crecy Schybalds as seen on Anshelm Arms)
Sabatons. 
Bonus: Pembridge Great Helm. 

That is it and I am getting 60% of the items from Mad Matt's, three from Therion which not only fits into my personal budget and could be completed by the end of this year. 

Soft Kit: Gambeson, Pourpoint, Hose Pants, Shirt, Medieval Shoes (either buckled or tied) Revival Clothing or maybe Fuhlen Designs.

So that's it. Enough of me and my wild schemes, I finally found it!  Ah the relief to know thsi will happen.   ;D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #49 on: 2013-01-18, 23:57:38 »
i'll be updating missing pieces from my WW1 german kit. that maybe it, not sure. i have a roman group that wants me to hang w/ them so i need to degalvinize my hamata, make a new shield and shrink my belts down so they fit.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #50 on: 2013-01-19, 10:29:32 »
i'll be updating missing pieces from my WW1 german kit. that maybe it, not sure. i have a roman group that wants me to hang w/ them so i need to degalvinize my hamata, make a new shield and shrink my belts down so they fit.

Speaking of Roman era, I've made an addition to my 14th century transitional kit to signify my Italian, English, Irish lineage. A custom Roman gladiator leather war skirt with a kidney belt to be worn over my black maille. Works perfectly with the harness and gives me a 3rd century A.D. Centurion or Gladiator look when Romans occupied Britannia (England). Fits right in place (or at least looks good) with my splinted armor too. :) My English knight armor kit has gold Celtic trim w/ brass fittings & rivots on black leather & armor plate. It's more individual to my heritage now and doesn't really feel out of place.     
« Last Edit: 2013-01-21, 05:47:48 by Lord Dane »

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #51 on: 2013-01-20, 22:36:59 »
that is not period. :( sorry but that is 100% fantasy

http://s596.beta.photobucket.com/user/reenactthis/library/roman. everything labeled 3rd century AD shows you based on actual finds is what you would look like.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #52 on: 2013-01-21, 05:36:10 »
that is not period. :( sorry but that is 100% fantasy

http://s596.beta.photobucket.com/user/reenactthis/library/roman. everything labeled 3rd century AD shows you based on actual finds is what you would look like.

It existed centuries b4 my kit so who is to say some knight didn't rekindle some armor trend of past day and add it to their 13th-14th century transitional armor..... I'm not talking about looking 14th century in 3rd century attire just the opposite.

I'll save it for SCA fighting as opposed to anything historical but it looks good on my 14th century transitional kit with the splinted leather/plate armor and maille.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-21, 05:44:51 by Lord Dane »

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #53 on: 2013-01-21, 11:35:09 »
?? that is cool if it goes with your sca kit. and i am sure it will help with the thigh protection. but that skirt is not a 3rd c ad skirt. thats what i meant. it is a fantasy skirt lol that is what i meant.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #54 on: 2013-01-21, 12:07:10 »
?? that is cool if it goes with your sca kit. and i am sure it will help with the thigh protection. but that skirt is not a 3rd c ad skirt. thats what i meant. it is a fantasy skirt lol that is what i meant.

Yes not quite Romanesque I suppose but it will do the job in protecting the lower regions.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #55 on: 2013-01-23, 15:52:27 »
IIRC, there was a 'renaissance' if you will, of Roman armor, at least in style in the late 14th C maybe?  Sir Wolf will of course correct me if I am mistaken. 
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #56 on: 2013-01-23, 18:30:17 »
only in paintings. i dont know of any actual finds of it other than victorian stuff and stuff people have made based on writings or paintings.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 2013-01-23, 18:43:35 »
Only thing I can think of is that mail dates back to the romans, albeit not head to toe like in the 14th century. Or that the early transitional plate, a solid breastplate, with schnbalds, cops and vambrace, is similar in "theme" to the roman musculata cuirass and vambraces/greaves, but roman armor was bronze/brass (I always mix 'em up! I think Bronze?) and the shaping was different from normal 14th century armor. I'm stretching with that, I've never read it mentioned anywhere though.

Edit: Vaguely kinda sorta like this guy if you squint a lot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/293/48644oplitismi9.jpg/sr=1
« Last Edit: 2013-01-23, 18:45:09 by James Anderson III »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #58 on: 2013-01-23, 21:12:40 »
lol that guy is ancient Greece lol. he ranges like 400 BC time frame. lol

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #59 on: 2013-01-23, 23:49:41 »
Guys, I would keep the antiquity separate from the medieval when it comes to kits. You have to remember, many of our images of period armour come from bibles, and accounts of histories. Those are the medieval depictions of the Romans and the Greeks. There was very little consideration beyond the knowledge of scholars that the peoples then would wear different armour, and clothing beyond for what was then the modern day. The little idea of emulating different styles of antiquity first really shows up in the 15th century. About then you do see the occasional armour made in a "roman" fashion, but even then it's almost always little decorative and stylistic elements. 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux