"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: Titus Pullo is my Hero.  (Read 3919 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Titus Pullo is my Hero.
« on: 2011-03-10, 22:47:49 »
In HBO's Rome I think that Titus Pullo seems more Knightly than Lucius Vorbenus.

He just seems to be a good solid guy that, in the end, everyone from high up to low down knows they can depend on.

In the beginning, he is just another hotheaded brute, but quickly does he become a flawed but genuine Knight.

Thoughts?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iJTi_OITEo[/youtube]
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Titus Pullo is my Hero.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-11, 14:22:14 »
Vorenus holds himself to a higher standard than just about anyone else in that entire series; for instance, he has never lain with any woman but his wife- even going so far as to turn down Cleopatra when she commanded him to do her; he ultimately decided to take care of the son that his wife had with another man- and did not try to kill that man (altho Pullo and Octavian took care of that on their own); when his daughters were taken by Erastes to be sold into slavery, he went in and slew that man and was devastated at the thought of his children raped and killed, but he then took control of the Aventine and although he was initially ruthless, he eventually ruled with an enlightened fist, tried to bring them above the cut-throat reputations that these gangsters had acquired.  Then, when he went to Egypt w/Antony after he'd fallen out w/Octavian, he is the only person who does not indulge in the debaucheries and excesses of the Egyptian court (while Antony takes the opposing route and indulges in all of them); despite Antony's decline he still serves him faithfully and well, right to the bitter end...to my mind, Lucius Vorenus displays the classic characteristics of a knight, both loyal and brave, possessed of a singular moral ethic that seems to be lacking in most of his contemporaries, but he is not rigid, he experiences change, as painful as it has been for him.  Pullo starts out as a thug and realizes his own redemption toward the end; he learns to control his baser cravings in order to effect a greater good.  In doing so, he is following Vorenus' example.  Great clip by the way, and Pullo's the type of guy you want backing you in a fight.  Just keep in mind you may have to rein him in eventually, and defend yourself if he's caught in a blood craze.  lol
« Last Edit: 2011-03-11, 14:46:31 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
Re: Titus Pullo is my Hero.
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-12, 00:01:54 »
Vorenus holds himself to a higher standard than just about anyone else in that entire series; for instance, he has never lain with any woman but his wife- even going so far as to turn down Cleopatra when she commanded him to do her; he ultimately decided to take care of the son that his wife had with another man- and did not try to kill that man (altho Pullo and Octavian took care of that on their own); when his daughters were taken by Erastes to be sold into slavery, he went in and slew that man and was devastated at the thought of his children raped and killed, but he then took control of the Aventine and although he was initially ruthless, he eventually ruled with an enlightened fist, tried to bring them above the cut-throat reputations that these gangsters had acquired.  Then, when he went to Egypt w/Antony after he'd fallen out w/Octavian, he is the only person who does not indulge in the debaucheries and excesses of the Egyptian court (while Antony takes the opposing route and indulges in all of them); despite Antony's decline he still serves him faithfully and well, right to the bitter end...to my mind, Lucius Vorenus displays the classic characteristics of a knight, both loyal and brave, possessed of a singular moral ethic that seems to be lacking in most of his contemporaries, but he is not rigid, he experiences change, as painful as it has been for him.  Pullo starts out as a thug and realizes his own redemption toward the end; he learns to control his baser cravings in order to effect a greater good.  In doing so, he is following Vorenus' example.  Great clip by the way, and Pullo's the type of guy you want backing you in a fight.  Just keep in mind you may have to rein him in eventually, and defend yourself if he's caught in a blood craze.  lol

What he said.     HOOZA!!    HOOZA!!
G
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)