Main > The Armoury

Bill's Harness

<< < (5/6) > >>

Sir William:
I'm kind of glad that I've not gotten to the 'full plate mode' like you guys have...some of what I've seen is breathtaking, and the prices- jawdropping.  

Bill, your harness looks good on ya.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2008-04-18, 20:21:04 ---Drew from MD can do your greaves for you. he quoted me 290 or something for 4 piece welded greaves. he said u couldnt tell form teh outside they were made that way.

--- End quote ---

Is Drew in MD from "Parts and Technical"?

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-01-28, 02:37:38 ---Like all of MRL's gothic armour, these turned out to be more pretty than functional. Whoever was saying that these are pretty good is either a liar or has never worn real armour before, because these were pretty bad out of the box, despite being beautiful. Allan at Merc Tailor did some of his magic to them and turned them into functional armour again, though they still weigh a ton (nothing Allan could have done about that).

--- End quote ---

I have that same set of legs. The upper articulation is very decorative, and that's about it. They "move" enough to be functional, but they are definitely far from historically articulated. The nice part is that if they aren't fit very well, you can remove a lame or two from the upper articulation to get them to feel a bit better. What did Allan do on them to get them more usable? Mine could use that treatment.

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-01-28, 02:37:38 ---I've also comissioned some spring steel pauldrons from a guy named Josh Davis, who is an up and coming armorer. He is one of the employees at Arms and Armor, and his work is really, really good. He said he's ready to start them, and just needs my measurements, so it shouldn't take to long at this point. They should look somewhat similar to the attached photo. I'm pretty psyched about these.

--- End quote ---

Ah, that pauldron looks like something from Marek? I've oggled over his stuff many, many times. That should compliment your harness quite nicely. :)

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
Nice !!
G

Sir Andrew:
Definitely some BOSS kit going on there, Bill. Yeah, that helm looks like it would breathe quite well....

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-01-29, 00:39:06 ---Is Drew in MD from "Parts and Technical"?
--- End quote ---

Yep, that's him!

--- Quote ---I have that same set of legs. The upper articulation is very decorative, and that's about it. They "move" enough to be functional, but they are definitely far from historically articulated. The nice part is that if they aren't fit very well, you can remove a lame or two from the upper articulation to get them to feel a bit better. What did Allan do on them to get them more usable? Mine could use that treatment.
--- End quote ---

You're right: The upper part is practically all decorative. I'm tall enough that thankfully they're on my thigh and not close enough to the hip where they'd need to move, thankfully. The knee joint doesn't bend enough to fight in. I could walk in it, but not take a proper stance because it wasn't designed properly. To quote Allan, "What kind of clusterfuck is this?" I'm not exactly sure what Allan did (he explained it, but I didn't know all the armoring terms, so I just smiled and nodded), but they function just fine now. His price and turn around time was very, very nice. I expected him to charge way more than he did.

The MRL gothic armour was all designed by Peter Fuller, who is a fantastic armorer. The problem is that the designs seem to be copied for mass production by people who probably only looked at pictures and didn't understand the subtleties to how the various parts should fit. Because of that, all of the pieces show an incredible level of aesthetic detail considering the low price, but are otherwise just not functional armour. The gauntlets are the worst offender of this. Peter Fuller actually did some modifications on my gauntlets and pauldrons and managed to take decorative junk and turn them into reasonably functional armour, but he even said that there was only so much he could do without just building brand new ones from scratch. It's really surprising that Windlass Steelcrafts can do such intricate, beautiful pierce work and fluting but can't take the time to do the important parts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version