Main > The Armoury

Crap REALLY hard to find

<< < (4/7) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Syr William on 2011-08-17, 19:03:34 ---I'd like to see...just visited the site and found out how to get them to stay on the ends of the lacings.  I take it an arming cotte with reinforced eyelets and laces is what I'll be needing then?

--- End quote ---

Are you trying to point for plate? My prototype arming coat survived in the field, but quite a few eyelets fell prey to the washing machine. Reinforcing the eyelets is a great idea. When I get a chance to sew up a proper one, instead of hacking up a premade one, I'm going to use the leather tabs for pointing. Depending on the weight of the plate, the eyelets might not hold well on their own.

For the aglets, they get pinched shut, but a drop or two of superglue to hold them (it's hidden once pinched shut) is a good idea. The only points I had done for VARF were for my spaulders, the rest was just leather laces due to lack of time.

Sir William:
Yes, for plate.  My arm harnesses especially...the legs are held up via c-belt and integrated leather straps w/buckles.  Seems to be ok for now but I'd like to point the shoulder cops to something other than my maille.  I guess I'm worrying too much...

Sir Edward:
The thing is, if you're wearing spaulders over mail, there's really not much else to attach them to. I think it's correct to point them right to the mail.

Sir Brian:
I was using this harness to point my spaulders only so I can leave myself the option of not having them and not having hanging straps. It worked for a season but was too noticeable when I changed to my newer surcoat style. You are welcome to try it out for awhile if you want since I've permanently pointed my spaulders and besagues to my maille now.  ;)

Sir William:
Sir Brian, nicely done...I wouldn't mind having a look at them if it suits you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version