Main > The Armoury

KOA has loose rings and pliers for rivetting!!!!!!!!!

<< < (4/6) > >>

Sir William:
By the by, Happy Belated to Sir Ulrich...I did not catch that initially!

I used to find rings in unlikely places, like in the toes of my boots!

Sir Ulrich:
Thanks Sir William
Thats why I didn't even want to bother with butted maille, last thing I need is it coming all apart on me and whatnot. Thats why I consider riveted maille a good investment.

Sir William:
It IS a good investment...even though mine does have that billowy sleeve look, I'm thinking of ways to fix that problem that don't involve riveting anything unless I have no choice.

Sir Edward:
I think you can get away with a single row of butt-links to close up the seam after taking out some material from the sleeves. You just have to do the cutting from the underside of the sleeve where it won't be that visible.

Anytime this comes up, I always want to include my normal warning-- Don't remove too much!!! The sleeve will still need to hang off your arm a bit to have enough room for your elbow to flex. Test where you want to do the cuts by tying a lace through the links to pinch off some material and see if it still lets you move. And the new seam should be a gradual taper from the armpit to around the elbow area. If your sleeve is longer, you can get away with a more linear tube shape for the forearm, probably (though I haven't tried that since mine ends at the elbow).

I know this because I took too much off the first time. But this was my butted aluminum set, so re-adding links wasn't a problem, just annoying waste of my time.

Sir Patrick:
Could you put in a 45 degree elbow, like some arming coats use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version