Main > The Armoury

Making maille mittens

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
I think once my hauberk arrives I'm gonna make some detachable mittens for it out of the GDFB maille rings and whatnot as they seem to be really cheap and whatnot. I got some experience making butted maille a long while back so I think mittens would be relatively simple to make.

Sir Brian:
I preferred using a couple of 1’ X 1’ sheets of maille from the Ring Lord. It took me 3 days to trim and stitch the maille to the gloves (not to mention skewering myself about 100 times) but I liked how they turned out. Mittens should be a lot easier to cut out and actually involving less stitching.  ;)

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=95&cat=Sheets+of+Chainmail&websess=60704574078122

Sir Ulrich:
Nice gloves they don't look too complicated to make apart from repetitive sewing. I still don't know where I can find leather mittens to fit me. I don't wanna use something like an oven mitt cause that won't fit too well. Maybe I would be better off using cloth instead because it's probably easier to hand sew.

Sir Brian:
I don't think making a mitten out of leather would be all that hard. There is lots of wiggle room in comparison to gloves!  ;)

Sir Matthew:
I got some rivited mail swatches from Therion Arms a few weeks ago and now I just need to get some mittens to sew them onto. I'm not really having an easy time finding anything unlined and leather that fits the bill, so I may actually wind up getting some heavy leather and making my own mittens to sew the swatches onto. Currently I'm busy making my heavy padded armor and a new gambeson and arming cap. I'll try to remember to update my progress once I get this underway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version