Main > The Armoury

Making maille mittens

<< < (3/3)

Sir Rodney:
In my part of the country, the local fleet & farm store carries deerskin chopper shells intended for you to slip in whatever liner you want depending on the temperature outside.  I buy the shells one size smaller than my glove size and it seems to work perfectly.  Do you have a Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply near you?

Sir Ulrich:
http://www.gemplers.com/product/125718/Kinco-Leather-Mittens-Cowhide-Insulated
Think work gloves or whatever are the way to go with mittens or whatever. The GDFB ones have this side thumb thing that I cant stand, the thumb should be at the bottom not the side, otherwise it stretches and hurts my hand.

Sir Matthew:
Yeah, I didn't like the look of the GDFB mittens. I checked Tractor Supply and the choppers they had were insulated, which I didn't really want. Maybe I'll have to check again.

Sir Ulrich:
I think I'm going to make it with the 6 in one pattern for maille. Want it to be a bit more ridged and thicker cause it would protect better. Now to find a suitable pair of leather mittens as the first step.

Sir Wolf:
when i was at the tractor supply i bought a pair of leather  type mittens that were lined. i pulled the lining out and resewed them to be smaller to fit. i just never got around to putting the mail on them

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version