Main > The Armoury

Making maille mittens

(1/3) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Anyone got any suggestions on how to do this? I kinda want the type that could open up easily so I dun gotta take them off all the time. I WAS going to get the GDFB ones but it appears they're probably lower quality. So I figure I'll just buy some rings and a riveting tool and make my own, shouldn't take TOO long as it isn't a full hauberk and I doubt I need to tailor them TOO much... Part I am most concerned about is attaching them to the leather.

Sir Wolf:
ok. get a nice fitting mitten.
make a rectangle mail piece and lay it over the mitten
sew it on and take off the excess.
attach only the mail to the back of the hand to the hauberk. this way you can take off the mittens and let them hang still

Sir Rodney:
I would purchase the GDFB riveted mail mittens, keep the mail and toss the mittens.  Buy a good pair of (unlined) deer skin choppers and sew on the mail yourself.  Use a good quality thick thread or the synthetic thread sold at Tandy and the like.

Sir Wolf:
ya i have a pair. you can go back in the armoury and find my thread on revamping these. there not bad for teh mail, but way big and the thumb is on the side, so you will need to cut the mail off there for sure. I used black rebar wire (18 guage) for attaching the mail to my hauberk. you can't tell that they are butted rings

Sir James A:
I've seen period artwork that showed the mittens as having a leather palm and a "slit" down them so that the hand could be slid out. I think all of those were attached to a mail sleeve, so I'm not sure how relevant that would be to what you're putting together. If you aren't doing mail cuffs, it should be quick and easy.

I got my mail riviting pliers from Jeffrey Hedgecock at Historic Enterprises, and my rings and rivits from Duke Icefalcon; though the rings have been on backorder about 3 months now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version