Main > The Armoury

Sir Ulrich's kit

<< < (5/6) > >>

SirNathanQ:
If you do and lack shin padding, Stay the hell away from Eastern Europe! Those reenactment groups w/ the full contact steel blunt fights have a deathwish!

Sir Ulrich:
Yes I do intend on fighting in my kit, not necessarily the SCA but maybe Markland or some other society that doesn't have high armor requirements. Main reason I don't bother with plate is because unless it's custom fitted it's uncomfortable, but Mercenaries Tailor has me think otherwise due to their stuff being custom sized. I may just get shin guards cause I currently don't want to spend 300 bucks to for the IceFalcon chausses, but I can afford 70 dollar custom sized shin guards. Plus if I ever decide to do plate I'd already have some armor for it. Maybe in the 1290s or so they had some plate?

Sir William:
Merc Tailor will make it according to your measurements w/out extra added cost...of them all I feel most comfortable dealing with Allan because he's no-muss-no-fuss and no excuses; the work's top notch and you don't have to wait months to get it usually.

I thought about Markland myself but wondered if maybe I was too old?  They're based at UMD right?  By the by, if you are going to fight in your kit, you'll definitely want padded undergarments - mail's good against cuts but not blunt force trauma.

Sir Wolf:
too old? HAHAHAH thas funny. you know most sca and markland guys are 40-50 right?

Sir Edward:
They do have a lot of younger guys too, but plenty of older ones as well. Pretty broad spectrum, so I wouldn't let age stop you.

I'm not as directly familiar with Markland these days. I just remember one of my college friends had gotten involved in the padded weapon combat, and I think some of those folks were using hockey equipment to get some basic protective padding. From their website you can see a lot of more serious historical intent, so I don't know how much they blur the lines these days.

As an aside, Sir Barchan (one of the jousters at MDRF) was one of the founding members of Markland if I'm not mistaken. I believe he parted ways with them a long time ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version