Main > The Library

interesting Arthurian read

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Wolf:
well ok. lets do the stone first and then i PROMISE to help you move it into the garden when you get the house

Sir William:
Oooh, I want one!  Just so I'm clear...it would be best if this were done with a stainless SLO, no?

LMAO @ promise all in CAPs...do I detect the faintest bit of wheedling in that tone? 

Sir Edward:
If it's going to be outdoors, I have no idea how long stainless holds up actually. That's a good question.

Period swords are still being dug up in rivers and the like because of the steel being made from bloomery iron. It's the silica in it that keeps it from rusting through, but silica also makes the steel more brittle, which is why modern steel doesn't have it. I know there are modern alloys that also are highly resistant to deep rust (rust at the surface only), but I'm not sure what they are.

EDIT: I need to find a blacksmith that will work with bloomery iron and make a SLO for me that way.. muahaha :)

Sir Wolf:
try Baltimore knife and sword. they might be able to help you.

or what about purchasing the hardware etc for a handle and putting it on a mile steel blank from Tractor Supply? we can grind down the end and the part of the blade that would show.

or! you could get a cheap version of Excalibur and then what would you really be out? 100 bucks?

Sir William:
BKS makes good stuff...just make sure you're clear on delivery times.  Since it is a one-off, shouldn't be too much trouble.

You can get a really cheap version of Excalibur for around $50 on eBay, like this one:  http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Medieval-39-King-Arthur-Excalibur-Sword-w-Sheath-/260723799108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb4597444

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version