Main > The Armoury

Just joined the "14th Century Mafia", apparently I'm quite sick...

<< < (7/9) > >>

Sir James A:
The IceFalcon mail pliers arrived Friday, and they are fantastic! I got a bit more than one "length/wrap" row of the skirt done. The pliers are quite tough on the hands, though. I am going to get some rubber tool dip to see if that helps, it will help speed productivity for me - I was sore after a few hours and quit due to the cramping and stiffness.

This is taking MUCH longer than butted rings - I'm guessing I'll have 35-40 hours into this skirt by the time it's finished. After that, it'll be tailoring the voiders (I cheated and bought them pre-made :D), and the kit will be much closer to completion. I'm greatly regretting having not paid that extra $100 to buy the skirt pre-made, but at least I'll have some satisfaction in knowing I made something.

Sir Brian:
To steal a line from Sir Wolf...pictures or it didn't happen!  ;)

Sir Rodney:
I second Sir Brian's remark.  Did you purchase the riveted voiders from Icefalcon as well?  I'm really interested in seeing photographs of them.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-04-05, 16:15:27 ---
I live in Sterling and work in Charles Town WV. Sir James is the other way around, so we trade places during the day. :)

--- End quote ---

Ouch on both counts...although I'd imagine your commute probably goes more smoothly than does Sir James' - unless he's found another way besides the Beltway to get there in which case, that'd be all to the good.  I used to commute from Laurel, MD to Herndon, not far from where you live if I'm correct in my rudimentary knowledge of the area - but that was bear enough at 40 miles one way.  At peak times no less (I worked 9a-5p then)...so my shortest commute on record during said hours was 1 hour 40 minutes.  The longest, you ask?  4 hours, 27 minutes...there was a dusting of snow on the ground and traffic just stopped.  Literally.

By the by, Sir Brian.  LOL.  ;)

Sir James A:
Making the rivited mail skirt is taking much longer than I anticipated, in part due to my girly computer hands, and in part due to a number of mundane conflicts of time. I ordered a pre-assembled skirt from IceFalcon to match the voiders, and I'll use the rings I have to make a set of half-chausses (since I have cased greaves & plate sabatons), and to tailor the voiders and/or skirt if necessary.

At least I can (hopefully) get the skirt soon, and have the kit almost complete; mostly waiting on the backordered gauntlets (GDFB Churburgs), the breast/back and greaves from Allan at MercTailor, and to get some time for my wife to help me line up where I need to add points to the arming coat for the plate.

A few pics:

I used this to coat (4 times) the plier handles and add at least a little cushion to the grip. The first night I spent 30 minutes closing rings, I both got and opened (ugh) a blister from the rough metal.

The coated pliers:

All the cute little "fivelets"

Tiiiiiny rivits

Bag o rings

The first row for the skirt, and the beginning of the next (which I'll reuse as the beginning to the chausses)

The voiders, although they are folded in half. I will get pics of them unfolded and on the arming coat after they have been attached.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version