Main > The Armoury

CAS/Hanwei New Lineup

<< < (2/2)

Das Bill:
Actually, that ridge is completely accurate. There are a lot of historical swords from that time period with very similar blades. It won't be the best cutter in the world, naturally, but it will have a very stiff blade for thrusting. It's cutting ability will rely on the geometry of the edge. It's possible to make one of these as a pretty good cutter, but it depends on how they shaped it. I'm actually kind of impressed Hanwei decided to replicate it, as it isn't common in the modern market.

This sword doesn't look too shabby for the price. The pommel looks a little "blocky", but I think a dremel tool and a little elbow grease could make it look a lot more organic. The scabbard looks okay for something in that price range as well.

Sir William:
I should've asked you first, Bill.  I'm glad to know that there's some historicity to that blade...now that I know it isn't completely out there, who knows...as you say, I can't recall seeing a blade type like that except for this one time on eBay, where this guy was selling an 'antique' for a $10K starting price, had certs and everything.  The blade had a distinct central ridge almost exactly like this one...I'll see if I can't find it again.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-01-10, 21:37:30 ---Actually, that ridge is completely accurate. There are a lot of historical swords from that time period with very similar blades. It won't be the best cutter in the world, naturally, but it will have a very stiff blade for thrusting. It's cutting ability will rely on the geometry of the edge. It's possible to make one of these as a pretty good cutter, but it depends on how they shaped it. I'm actually kind of impressed Hanwei decided to replicate it, as it isn't common in the modern market.

--- End quote ---

Well, I learned something new today. :)

EDIT: I wonder why no one has included these in discussions/charts of cross-section and the like?

Sir Wolf:
OOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version