Main > The Armoury

review of gambeson from Viking Leather

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir Brian:
Nope Bill has the right of it! I get those two places mixed up all the time!  :D

I consider the revival clothing's gambeson to be the pinnacle of how gambeson's should be. Their wrestling jacket is fine for use as an extremely light weight gambeson under armor when heat exhaustion is the primary concern but I wouldn't recommend it when expecting a lot more protection.  :-\

Sir William:
They have a wrestling jacket?  I have never heard of such.

Sir Brian:
Yes it's nearly canvas grade material but completely unpadded. It would look and do well as WMA for light bouts or as an outer cover for your more robust padding. It is from revival clothing so it moves well although it has this bizarre tendency to become stiffer when saturated with sweat.  ???

Sir Edward:

The wrestling jackets are relatively new to the WMA/HEMA community. The idea is that for the unarmored combat techniques, you need a durable jacket that you can grab and throw people around with, and have it be durable enough to take it. So they're designed with that goal in mind, rather than padding for weapon techniques.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-01-04, 21:22:57 ---
The wrestling jackets are relatively new to the WMA/HEMA community. The idea is that for the unarmored combat techniques, you need a durable jacket that you can grab and throw people around with, and have it be durable enough to take it. So they're designed with that goal in mind, rather than padding for weapon techniques.

--- End quote ---

Having never laid my hands on one, I'm not certain, but I think they're based off the same material as judo uniforms are. They look similar to my untrained eye.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version