Main > The Armoury

Gambeson Quest.

<< < (6/14) > >>

Sir William:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-01-02, 04:56:43 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-01-01, 13:35:19 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich the Wicked on 2010-12-30, 22:14:14 ---http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5478-warriors-medieval-gambeson.aspx
Thats the gambeson I got, I would've gotten the GDFB one but it was too large for me and this one seems to be almost the same. I don't recommend the MRL ones as they're basically useless for combat and more for costuming. Thats why I bought a new gambeson to replace my robin hood one.

--- End quote ---

Sir Ulrich
Thanks for the link! That is certainly reasonable and looks like it would be adequate padding, but according to their sizing even their XXL would be a little tight and too short in the sleeves! Too bad they don’t offer them in a 3XL or otherwise known as quasi-behemoth size. ;)

--- End quote ---

I have a similar problem ... they don't offer them with a 40" waist and a 36" chest. Apparently I'm built upside-down. :(

--- End quote ---

My biggest problem has always been that most things medieval are sized exactly like that...I asked, because I have a 38" chest and a 32" waist but anything for my chest is usually 'waisted' for someone with a 40" or better waist...

Sir Ulrich:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-01-02, 23:06:44 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-01-02, 04:56:43 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-01-01, 13:35:19 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich the Wicked on 2010-12-30, 22:14:14 ---http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5478-warriors-medieval-gambeson.aspx
Thats the gambeson I got, I would've gotten the GDFB one but it was too large for me and this one seems to be almost the same. I don't recommend the MRL ones as they're basically useless for combat and more for costuming. Thats why I bought a new gambeson to replace my robin hood one.

--- End quote ---

Sir Ulrich
Thanks for the link! That is certainly reasonable and looks like it would be adequate padding, but according to their sizing even their XXL would be a little tight and too short in the sleeves! Too bad they don’t offer them in a 3XL or otherwise known as quasi-behemoth size. ;)

--- End quote ---

I have a similar problem ... they don't offer them with a 40" waist and a 36" chest. Apparently I'm built upside-down. :(

--- End quote ---

My biggest problem has always been that most things medieval are sized exactly like that...I asked, because I have a 38" chest and a 32" waist but anything for my chest is usually 'waisted' for someone with a 40" or better waist...

--- End quote ---
I got a 29-30 inch waist and a 32 inch chest (without my shoulders) so it fits me fine, I do wish I'd bulk up a bit being this skinny doesn't help me find clothing at all. With my shoulder's included my chest is 38 inches which makes the gambeson a perfect fit, as opposed to a baggy fit. I don't care much for baggy or oversized clothing, which is why I got a different gambeson. Pants have a bit of an easier fit due to drawstring waists being perfect for someone like me. I just use a belt at the waist to cut back on the extra room there.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2010-12-29, 19:56:37 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2010-12-29, 18:30:00 ---Well I guess this is another addition to that wish list of 2011 because I’m seriously considering on picking these up and trying my hand at Cuir Boilli, after I dye them green and edge them with gold paint of course.   ;)
http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=541

--- End quote ---

That would be ambitious, and from what I hear, quite messy.  The wax...you need lots of it, or so I've read.  Still, if you decide on doing it, you have to do the step by step w/pics!

--- End quote ---

Sorry Sir William! I don’t know how I missed this part of your earlier reply!  :-[

Anyways I think I’ll try the water boiled method since from what I’ve read it is easier and actually more effective. http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/leather/hl.html

Sir William:
Sir Ulrich, you never include your shoulders when measuring your chest- which should be done after taking a deep breath and holding for the measurer.

Sir Brian...I'm thinking the cleanup will be easier at the very least.  I'm very interested to see how it turns out...a lot of the so-called leather armor out there is just plain leather riveted together, not hardened at all.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-01-04, 20:18:31 ---Sir Ulrich, you never include your shoulders when measuring your chest- which should be done after taking a deep breath and holding for the measurer.

--- End quote ---

Yep. And a sewing-style cloth measuring tape is ideal, and you measure the circumference around your upper torso just under the armpits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version