Main > The Armoury

Ed's other kit, 15th century

<< < (16/18) > >>

Sir William:
Looking good, Sir Edward.  Loved how you put the voiders together.

Joshua Santana:
From what I can tell of Sir Edward's voiders, the best way to create voiders (or to use them) is to lace the mail to the arming cotte/gambeson/doublet so that if fits with your shoulder pits (also depending on what the size of the gambeson or arming coat, don't trust eyelets immediately unless it is custom made)

This is helpful for me because when I order my mail for my voiders, I know how to do the job right.

Joshua Santana:
One more thing Sir Edward, did you use these to help make the voiders?

The Historic Enterprises link states that the product you chose was not available.

http://historicenterprises.com/loose-rings-rivets-steel-1-lb-wedgeriveted-mail-9mm-diam-p-684.html?cPath=101_141

Sir Edward:

Nope, I put them on nearly unaltered. I say "nearly", because what I did was take a little excess off near the wrists, where it would have overlapped and wrapped around more than once. Realistically I should have removed more material and shaped them more. I'm also regretting not getting them in stainless (which wasn't an option at the time, but Icefalcon has them now), because they're rusting around the forearm and wrist area.

While they're laced on, it's difficult to clean both them AND the arming cotte. And if I take the time to unlace and re-lace, it'll take almost as long as the first time around, and that was a slow and tedious process. Very historical though, if you ignore the fact that I used cheap metal eyelets.

There's a part of me that wants to get some stainless voiders, attach some heavy-duty velcro, and use that to quickly take them on and off. It's cheating, I know. :)

Joshua Santana:
Ah I see now, this is most helpful.  Thank you Sir Edward!

--- Quote ---There's a part of me that wants to get some stainless voiders, attach some heavy-duty velcro, and use that to quickly take them on and off. It's cheating, I know.
--- End quote ---

I don't consider it cheating, I consider it less time consuming especially when you have a busy schedule.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version