Main > The Armoury

Ed's other kit, 15th century

<< < (4/18) > >>

Sword Chick:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-04-18, 13:44:29 ---I guess it's a private gallery right? Otherwise we could post a link. :)

--- End quote ---

Public link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=110128&l=5b169&id=561845509

Fixed link.

Das Bill:
And that has pics of David's brand new messer that had just arrived that day, too. Man, that thing is sweet. I offered to hang on to it for him, that way he didn't have to worry about it taking up space at his place, but he declined. That guy just doesn't know what's best for him.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2008-04-18, 15:05:13 ---I think this is exactly why you see so many pictures with the visor up during combat.

Or why many period painting show men at arms wearing a sallet without a bevor, which allows excellent protection from above, but still allows good visibility from below.

The visor could always be lowered if necessary (a hailstorm of arrows coming in, for instance), but can be lifted for combat where higher visibility and air ventilation is necessary.

--- End quote ---

That makes a lot of sense. It seems to me to be foolish to sacrifice that much visibility when fighting at that range. Now I need to add those spring pins we talked about, so I can flip it up and have it stay there.

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-04-18, 21:45:11 ---That makes a lot of sense. It seems to me to be foolish to sacrifice that much visibility when fighting at that range.
--- End quote ---

Of course, on the flip side, there are a lot of images of fighting with the helm closed, so we know some people would have chosen to do so as well. Those types of images seem to be more rare than those of fighting with the visor up, though.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-04-18, 14:57:53 ---I'll need to adjust the helmet's suspension a little in any case, since it was resting on my glasses the whole time, and sat perhaps a little low anyway. If I were to try fighting without glasses, I'd be even more blind. :)

--- End quote ---

I tightened it up, and it seemed to resolve the glasses issue. I hadn't played with the suspension at first, and the knot was loose, so it was sliding down onto my glasses. I cinched it in and re-knotted the tie, and I think it'll work better now. Probably need to add some holes in the chin strap though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version