Main > The Armoury

What brand of mail is this?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Brian:
Gawd all this talk about maille has me missing the smell of mine...that faint metallic oily smell not my unique aroma of my gambeson after eight hours in 80 plus temperatures!  :D

Sir William:
LOL @ unique aroma...

I can only imagine what a harness must've smelled like after weeks/months on campaign w/no bathing...I bet that if it was necessary, they shat in their armor rather than get off their mount and undo the necessary bits just to make a movement.

Sir Brian:
Thanks Paladin! Now I have this disturbing mental image of a medieval version of Depends stuck in my head!  :D

Sir Edward:

I would hope that that wouldn't have been necessary often. Actually I think most of the time, they took very good care of their gear (when they weren't throwing it away along the road to Jerusalem). I suspect people were generally cleaner than our Victorian historians lead us to believe. :)

Sir Brian:
You mean those same Victorian historians (that has a quirky ring to it btw) that gave us "Chainmail" and medieval armor so heavy that you had to be “craned” onto a warhorse and the swords weighed 20 – 30 pounds?  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version