"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Arabic (Sufi) Chivalry  (Read 4502 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Arabic (Sufi) Chivalry
« on: 2010-11-18, 16:15:40 »

Interesting thread on Chivalry-Now: http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12976#12976

Arabic (Sufi) Chivalry is referred to as "Futuwwah." In Arabic, "Fata" literally means a handsome, brave youth - in some ways, similar to the original meaning of the word "Knight." Following the use of the term in The Holy Koran, it came to be associated with an ideal, noble person whose hospitality and generosity would enable him to always put others above themselves. Again, similar to the definition of "Knight."

According to Sufis, "Futuwwah" is a state of mind that is selflessness, compassion, kindness and altruism. The Sufi brand of Chivalry is also called "Adab." They see it as "a continuous act of devotion, for it is a method of constant remembrance of God."

Here are a few marks of the Arabic Code of Chivalry:

.......Be satisfied with little for yourself, and wish much for others.
.......Instead of seeking the faults of others, look at your own faults.
.......Respond to cruelty with kindness, and do not punish for error.
.......Bring joy into the lives of your friends and meet their needs.
.......Prefer the well-being and comfort of your Brothers over your own, and relieve them of their difficulties.
.......The host should serve everything he has to his Brothers. Even if he has only a drop of water left, he should serve that.

Another broad meaning of "Futuwwah" is this:

.......It means opposing and arguing little, being fair; preventing errors in oneself and not criticizing the errors of others; trying to correct one's faults, accepting accusations, enduring troubles caused by others, lowering one's ego, being pleasant to both the old and young, doing good deeds, giving good advice, and accepting advice, loving one's friends and bearing peacefully with one's enemies.

During the crusades, medieval Europe and the middle east had many opportunities to influence one another. Sufism dates back through that period, as does European knighthood. I wonder how much the two influenced one another.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Arabic (Sufi) Chivalry
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-18, 17:35:34 »
I'd say, quite a bit.  I think, once they got past their own personal and religious biases, both sides were able to come to an accord of sorts and learn from one another.  For instance, there are records that state that despite being sworn enemies, King Richard and Saladin held a great deal of respect for one another and behaved courteously to one another, despite being at war w/one another.  Just one example, but I feel that this was much more commonplace than is recorded- I think it is this way because historians didn't want it be known that because of the war, two cultures collided and learned from one another; if that were so, how could the Crusades continue when it was realized that the Muslims didn't have to be our enemies had a meeting of the minds taken place FIRST.

Of course...war has always been profitable to the few who mastermind them...
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-18, 19:43:06 »
I've read that Saladin was very big into the concept of european knights, and was one of the few people during the crusades that the crusaders had great respect for as both a person and as an opponent. Saladin was also a fairly prominent leader, I think he would have had many opportunities to influence people both as he lived and through stories of his actions after he passed.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-18, 20:11:52 »
Excellent point...he is a stellar example of the concept of chivalry; he got the point.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€