Main > The Courtyard

Longpoint - MD KDF event

<< < (11/13) > >>

Sir William:
You're a natural counter-striker...I could see it.  Once you'd gauged your opponent's next plausible move, you went to stuff it.  I think you did well.  I'd out-think myself right into a loss, I'm sure.  lol

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Rodney on 2011-01-25, 18:55:28 ---As a non-WMA guy (yet), I'm very surprised by the minimal protective equipment.
--- End quote ---

Well, here's the catch: Most WMA practice is focused on the martial art aspect, with the sport aspect being an auxilary training element. So just like in Japanese martial arts, you don't wear that much protective gear (at least for the unarmoured aspect, that is). However, the tournament thing has been gaining more and more momentum, for better or worse, and I suspect you'll eventually start seeing more people beef up the protective gear, for better or worse. In the tournament, people tend to get a little more competitive than in general free fencing, and the power level definitely goes up several notches.

--- Quote ---Is there another "division" or bracket where the combatants wear period armour?
--- End quote ---

This was the first Longpoint event (not counting last year, which was an informal get together of the greater DC area to have a mini-tournament). So there was only the unarmoured longsword and the dussack. Maybe eventually there will be an armoured tournament, but as Ed said, to do armoured combat right is really, really dangerous. The point of actual armoured combat is to attack where the armour doesn't protect you. When we do any form of free play in armour at VAF, we leave out a lot of techniques. I suspect if an armoured tournament happened, they'd have to rule out even more techniques. This is why it's so important in WMA that we don't completely focus on the sport aspect alone, otherwise we end up with something that is very different from the reality of combat in favor of necessary safety rules.

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-01-25, 20:20:23 ---BTW, some of the photos of the event are getting posted on facebook. I found a couple of good ones of me:

--- End quote ---

Wow, those are great shots, Ed!

I'm actually hoping there are vids posted of you because I didn't get to see any of your bouts. I was judging on Ring 2, so I missed everything on Ring 1 where most of the VAF people fought. It's kind of for the best, as I don't want people to think I was biased as a judge.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-01-26, 06:22:00 ---Wow, those are great shots, Ed!

--- End quote ---

I think it was Ben Michels who took them. They're from his albums.

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-01-26, 06:22:00 ---I'm actually hoping there are vids posted of you because I didn't get to see any of your bouts. I was judging on Ring 2, so I missed everything on Ring 1 where most of the VAF people fought. It's kind of for the best, as I don't want people to think I was biased as a judge.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that makes sense that you not judge your own students. My bouts were over very quickly, but once I started watching out for the kinds of tricks they were using, it got a little better later on I think. I wasn't at my best.

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-01-26, 18:06:15 ---Yeah, that makes sense that you not judge your own students.
--- End quote ---

Well, David was in my ring, so I was one of the judges for him. I'm hoping no one thinks I was biased on his, as I certainly did my best to be completely impartial.

--- Quote --- My bouts were over very quickly, but once I started watching out for the kinds of tricks they were using, it got a little better later on I think.
--- End quote ---

Welcome to the world of competitive fencing. It's a game, and a huge amout of that game is figuring out what tricks others are going to play with. That's why so many people have been reluctant to adopt the use of tournaments in WMA. I confess that I used to be more against big tournaments, but I'm coming around. I like how Jake introduced the tournaments and even made a point of saying these are ways of encouraging martial spirit, but are still only a sidebar to martial training. If people keep it in that light, then I like the idea of large tournaments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version