Main > The Courtyard

Longpoint - MD KDF event

<< < (9/13) > >>

Sir Brian:
Here is the round 12 video when Rick Corley hit the King's hand. It was a clean attack and obvious he was doing a typical
oberhau and the guy tried to parry way too late. Truly regrettable for both contestants really.  :(
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxNs6iA3pRI&feature=related[/youtube]

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-01-25, 01:25:59 ---Here is the round 12 video when Rick Corley hit the King's hand. It was a clean attack and obvious he was doing a typical
oberhau and the guy tried to parry way too late. Truly regrettable for both contestants really.  :(

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that really is unfortunate. Looking at it again in the video, it doesn't look like anything crazy happened here. Just unfortunate timing and positioning.

Here are the posted tournament bouts:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=longpoint+2011+tournament&aq=f

So far only the dussack and longsword finals are posted, and not the larger longsword (day 1) qualification phase which eliminated half the fighters.

Actually I'm ok if they don't post my bouts. That way I can just work on being better next year without anyone making comparisons. :) (Actually, oddly enough, my bouts almost never get posted online even when they're filmed. Something always happens, like the video is unusable, or gets lost, or whatever)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-01-25, 01:25:59 ---Here is the round 12 video when Rick Corley hit the King's hand. It was a clean attack and obvious he was doing a typical

--- End quote ---

That's a shame. It doesn't look like any intent to injure. Hard to see his gloves, especially since they're black, but I wonder how "protective" they were. A straight-on oberhau hit should almost bounce away if he had steel gaunlets; if it wasn't for cost, I wonder if that might become a required gear rule.

Sir Rodney:

oberhau and the guy tried to parry way too late. Truly regrettable for both contestants really.  :(
--- End quote ---

I agree that this seems to be an unfortunate accident.  As a non-WMA guy (yet), I'm very surprised by the minimal protective equipment.  I've been told that weapon control is key and that, obviously, no one intends to hurt their opponent.  This is very evident watching some of the other quality bouts.

I guess I'm just used to the SCA environment where 7.5 foot pole arms are flying all about in a swirling general melee and your hands are guaranteed to be crushed if you're not wearing anachronistic clamshell gauntlets. :(

(edit to add)

Is there another "division" or bracket where the combatants wear period armour?

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-01-25, 17:15:00 ---Actually I'm ok if they don't post my bouts. That way I can just work on being better next year without anyone making comparisons. :) (Actually, oddly enough, my bouts almost never get posted online even when they're filmed. Something always happens, like the video is unusable, or gets lost, or whatever)

--- End quote ---
I hope they do post some or all of your bouts because I think upon review you will see that you didn’t do as badly as you think you did and will get the visual verification that you already know and expressed to me on Saturday in that you did a much better job of controlling the center than being preoccupied with scoring points.  :)

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-01-25, 17:31:05 ---That's a shame. It doesn't look like any intent to injure. Hard to see his gloves, especially since they're black, but I wonder how "protective" they were. A straight-on oberhau hit should almost bounce away if he had steel gaunlets; if it wasn't for cost, I wonder if that might become a required gear rule.

--- End quote ---

I’m pretty sure he was wearing lacrosse type of gloves which I know is fairly decent protection but then again there isn’t truly any sure fire protection unless you don’t let them hit you at all of course which I’m a proven failure at!  :D

One down side of steel gauntlets in a tournament setting is the telltale “clang” of a hit, so a judge doesn’t even have to see the hit to know the blade landed on the hands as one particular bout proved out…funny thing was the week before one of the assistant instructors warned the guy of that potentially happening, (he was a MASHS member as well).  :-\

--- Quote from: Rodney on 2011-01-25, 18:55:28 ---Is there another "division" or bracket where the combatants wear period armour?

--- End quote ---

Hehe, funny you should mention that because Edward and I had the same thought during the tournament!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version