Main > The Armoury

Gambeson Questions

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir Wolf:
roast hah! not. my linen one wicks away any sweat and keeps me really cool. real fibers like linen and wool act differently in heat than cotton, poly and other un natural fibers. i've been out in 90 degree heat in linen and wool all day and while hot, never over heated

Sir Patrick:
Point taken, Sir Wolf.  I'll make mine the same way and avoid ye olde heatstroke  :)

Sir William:
Avoiding heatstroke is paramount!  I look forward to seeing this new gambeson, Red Knight.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2010-11-16, 12:47:40 ---roast hah! not. my linen one wicks away any sweat and keeps me really cool. real fibers like linen and wool act differently in heat than cotton, poly and other un natural fibers. i've been out in 90 degree heat in linen and wool all day and while hot, never over heated

--- End quote ---

This is the same idea behind some of the sports clothing that wicks away sweat in modern days. There is a lot to be said for proper material vs extra holes. :)

Sir Matthew:
I have never had a problem with mine in the heat either. The padded armor I wore this year had 8 layers of cotton quilt batting and I never felt overly hot. The original gambeson I made and wore under my heavy armor had a cotton batting in it too and I never really got overheated in that. That sort of acted like a sponge, soaking up my sweat and keeping at a constant body temperature. I wouldn't say I was cool, but I was also not overly hot. The extra holes were my idea and will not really be incorporated in the new one, except at the armpits. It's more of a concern for movement than heat, although I still think it will help there. Also, I am concerned that my sewing skills are just not up to sewing there where extra stress will be placed on the stitches from lifting and moving my arms so I'm going to save me the aggrevation of having to make repairs to ripped out stitching.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version