Main > The Library

Epic Sword/Medieval Movie List

(1/6) > >>

Sir William:
So I was wondering if all of you knights were into this genre of movies and realized it was rather dumb of me to wonder considering we're all congregants here...so lets see what you guys are working with!  This could include the sword-and-sandal movies of yesteryear, or anything you've seen that you feel should be included.  Here's mine, with justification:

1.   10,000 BC - before the advent of steel, low tech, great epic
2.   13th Warrior – Viking fantasy w/Beowulfric references (Buliwyf precisely)
3.   300 - should be obvious
4.   Alexander – it took a few times before this movie clicked for me, but it is good
5.   Arn, the Knight Templar - one of the better Crusade-specific movies, KoH with soul if you will
6.   Beowulf – the digitized version featuring Jolie, very well drawn
7.   Beowulf & Grendel – starring Gerard Butler, more like a cautionary tale than an action flick
8.   Brotherhood of the Wolf – renaissance-era France, lots of good knife work, ambience
9.   Centurion - another Romanesque movie, great action, very visceral
10.   Conan
11.   Dark Kingdom: Dragon King (a Uwe Boll product replete w/horrible acting and story, but decent swordplay)
12.   Elizabeth: The Golden Years (I love Cate Blanchett, she is electric as Elizabeth)
13.   Excalibur
14.   George and the Dragon (James Purefoy as titular character, fun movie a little cheesy in dialog, Swayze a stinker)
15.   Gladiator
16.   King Arthur (re-imagining of the legend, I liked it, despite its historical inaccuracies lol)
17.   Kingdom of Heaven
18.   A Knight's Tale
19.   Lord of the Rings!!!
20.   The Last Legion  - another Roman epic, couldn't call it historically accurate but it was engaging, another take on the Arthurian legend
21.   Last Samurai - this is a good movie, no idea as to historicity, but it was a good movie with some excellent swordplay
22.   The Messenger, story of Joan of Arc - I liked this movie, it was definitely worth watching
23.   Outlander - wasn't sure if I should include this one as it starts in the far-flung future but the majority of the movie takes place in a time and location of the Vikings and it was definitely a good movie to watch
24.   Pathfinder – I have this movie, but didn’t really care for it; a Viking boy misplaced during a raid is brought up by the indigenous population that was raided
25.   Scorpion King – big guy with huge sword, what’s not to like?
26.   Seven Swords – Tsui Hark’s homage to the Seven Samurai, a worthy remake
27.   Sword of the Valiant – big cheese fest, Connery’s 2nd worst role, Zed in Zardoz being THE worst IMHO)
28.   Troy
29.   Underworld: Rise of the Lycans – vampires in super cool looking armor wielding wicked looking swords killing werewolves, best of the three Underworld movies BY FAR (imho)

Sir Brian:
29. The Thirteenth Warrior - A dozen Viking heroes and one Arab (Antonio Banderas) return to the Vikings’ homeland to battle an evil pagan cult.

30. The Warlord – Charlton Heston classic of a loyal Norman knight given a remote fief to defend against the Frisian raiders.

31. El Cid – Another Charlton Heston classic of the Spanish hero.

Sir William:
13th Warrior- can't believe I forgot that, I have that too!  Oh I know why...my sister borrowed it so it slipped my mind.  Need to update my list, good call Sir Brian!

Think I might want to check out The Warlord, never heard of it.

Sir James A:
A few thoughts:

First Knight?
Braveheart?
Dragonheart? (1 & 2)
Highlander? (Movies & TV)
Robin Hood? (Variations)
Shroud?

Sir Wolf:
ug too many movies to list, will have to do it later in the week when i have time :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version