Main > The Armoury

Armor for SwordChick

<< < (8/35) > >>

Sir Edward:

Well, you could always do what I do--- deficit spending. :)

Then again, there's always the kids' college funds!

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Christian Tobler on 2008-04-02, 18:39:35 ---PS. Alternate Plan: kidnap Bill's girlfriend, so *you* can sell her. ;) That gets you: the breastplate, that bastard sword from the Baltimore show, and who knows...

--- End quote ---

I am sooo not continuing this conversation, for my own safety...

Anyway, Pamela is on her way. As of tonight, she's bartered her first helmet and bevor combo. And they fit quite nicely, too.

Christian Tobler:
Did she get the sallet we saw at your place Bill?

CHT

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Christian Tobler on 2008-04-03, 05:12:28 ---Did she get the sallet we saw at your place Bill?

CHT

--- End quote ---

Nope, that sallet/bevor combo went to Ed. She got this one:

http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=AB0451

The sallet is incredibly nice for the price, but unfortunately the visor of this particular one doesn't stay down or up. I was contemplating sending it to someone to have a spring pin added. Pamela tried it on tonight, and it fit her incredibly well. We were talking about how it shouldn't be too much trouble to remove the visor and leave it as an open face sallet.

She also now owns the Windrose bevor that you had told me about. The bevor was pretty good considering it was cheap. Actually, for the price, it was pretty fantastic, but it just barely didn't fit right with my harness. If I put it over the cuirass, it slid around a lot. It fit reasonably well under the cuirass, but it pressed fairly uncomfortably against my collar bones, and I could touch it with my face if I dipped my head slightly forward. I could have tweaked it a bit and forced it, but I think it'll serve Pamela better. Besides which, I've decided to stick with the open faced celeta with the mail standard for my neck, so the only reason to keep the sallet and bevor were simply because they were cool. :) I'd rather Pamela get use from them than have them simply decorating my closet.

Das Bill:
So Pamela's got the head protection. She's working on making her arming doublet. She's knows where she's getting her legs, and she's probably going with the GDFB jack chains for the arms. The torso portion is still a little iffy, though she's leaning towards the GDFB breastplate (if she doesn't decide to go custom). That still leaves the hands. I still think she can get away without gauntlets for awhile, as there are tons of pictures of lower class men-at-arms and mercenaries in various iconography, such as in the Chronicles of Froissart. Many of these soldiers are depicted with helmet (almost always open faced that I've seen), torso protection (usually brigandines, though sometimes it appears to be some sort of solid plate with clothing over it), and sometimes with plate arm defenses. So this isn't quite what Pamela's harness is shaping out to be, but I think we can skirt around that for the time being until she can get good gauntlets that fit her.

However, I was looking at BestArmour, and these might work out quite nicely:

http://www.bestarmour.com/rukavice3.htm

They're fingerless, so that might mean that the fit won't be as big of a concern. They're also significantly cheaper than other gauntlets because of this. (4000 CZK = $249.84 USD, not counting shipping) On the other hand, BestArmour does custom make the gauntlets, so maybe Pamela would rather have full gauntlets, since they can probably make them to fit her.

Either way, "word on the street" is that BestArmour has about a year waiting list right now. Still, I'm considering getting on that list for a set of custom gauntlets... Pamela, if you're interested, let me know, maybe we can go in on an order and split shipping from the Czech Republic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version