Main > The Armoury

Armor for SwordChick

<< < (6/35) > >>

Sword Chick:
Hi Christian!  Gee, it's been ages since I've heard from you.   :D

Thank you for helping me on this.  My worry about gauntlets is finding a pair small enough.  Even my padded gloves are too big.  I get frustrated when my hands move, but my gloves, and therefore my sword, don't.  Any advice you could throw my way about gauntlets would be wonderful.

Oh, and thanks again for letting me try on the legs.  ;)  If you are going to play fashion designer like Bill, then here's a kiss kiss in your general direction as well.   :-*

Sir Edward:

I'll shop with you for gaunts, I need them to. I'm sure a custom set could be made to fit perfectly, I just haven't looked into it yet. :)

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Christian Tobler on 2008-04-01, 19:39:33 ---First, Brother Bill - be careful about gauntlets...if we're talking about Fechtbucher, they are (almost certainly) always wearing them. That they aren't always drawn appears to be an artistic convention. Good examples of what I mean are in several Talhoffers and in Gladiatoria - the gauntlets are only drawn when the technique specifically involves them; otherwise they're omitted for the sake of showing the fingers clearly.

There may be other iconographic sources that show this, with the intent of the fighter truly not wearing them, but we can draw such a conclusion from the treatises.
--- End quote ---

I actually was thinking of other sources besides the fechtbucher, but point taken. In fact, as I think about it, there may be other reasons they aren't wearing the gauntlets in those sources. For example, there's a painting on p. 95 of Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight without them, but the wearer is not in combat, and his bearing water to King David, so perhaps this is why the gauntlets are not present. There are some funerary brasses of knights without gauntlets as well, but again, that does not depict combat.

--- Quote ---The jack chains would be a great, inexpensive compliment to that, though they're *usually* shown on guys wearing either just the jack, or a brigandine.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I mentioned this to Pamela as well. I've only seen them on padded jacks alone or in combination with a brigandine, and never with any other form of harness. Still, I think they're plausible enough, if we keep it within reason. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks so. :)

Sword Chick:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-04-01, 20:11:25 ---
I'll shop with you for gaunts, I need them to. I'm sure a custom set could be made to fit perfectly, I just haven't looked into it yet. :)

--- End quote ---

Okay, kiss kiss for you too!   :-*

Christian Tobler:
Moral of story: When you help women buy armour, they kiss you.

Damn, I love this business...

Onto more serious business: Pamela, I'm working on the same problem with my student Catriona. She's a powerhouse, but petite. Finding gauntlets for her is going to be an ongoing problem.

CHT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version