Main > The Armoury

Armor for SwordChick

(1/35) > >>

Sir Edward:

So, what would be some good suggestions for SwordChick? I was thinking that it would be pretty cost effective to go with 14th C plate. Like the "chartres arms" and spaulders shown here:

http://www.madmattsarmory.com/inv_arms.php

This shop also has a coat of plates kit and some nice breastplates.

I don't know what quality his work is, but the pictures are nice. :)

Sword Chick:
Thanks, Ed.  I was already composing my post (and trying to get my attachments to work) so here I go again...

Okay, deep breath, enough talking, I need to start putting something together.  I'm counting on you gentlemen to help me.  :)

In order to keep things affordable, I'll be putting together bits at a time.  In terms of accuracy, issues such as stainless steel don't bother me.  At the same time, I don't want anything glaringly wrong.  (Though I suppose that is in the eye of the beholder.)

In an ideal world, I'd like to look like this.  However that image is heavily photoshopped. I don't look that good in real life.  :)

In terms of something more practical, Mr. Christian Tobler suggested that something like what he is wearing and which is based on the effigy below would work quite well, especially since I have a new gambeson.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sword Chick on 2008-03-27, 14:24:21 ---Thanks, Ed.  I was already composing my post (and trying to get my attachments to work) so here I go again...

--- End quote ---

Woops, sorry. :)

--- Quote from: Sword Chick on 2008-03-27, 14:24:21 ---Okay, deep breath, enough talking, I need to start putting something together.  I'm counting on you gentlemen to help me.  :)

In order to keep things affordable, I'll be putting together bits at a time.  In terms of accuracy, issues such as stainless steel don't bother me.  At the same time, I don't want anything glaringly wrong.  (Though I suppose that is in the eye of the beholder.)

--- End quote ---

I'm with you on that. I cut all sorts of corners to keep things practical and affordable. Stainless will certainly make the maintenance easier! Often it costs slightly more, but it saves you a lot of headaches, and it doesn't have to be polished to a chrome finish either if that's something that bothers you (some people prefer more of a satin finish).

--- Quote from: Sword Chick on 2008-03-27, 14:24:21 ---In an ideal world, I'd like to look like this.  However that image is heavily photoshopped. I don't look that good in real life.  :)

--- End quote ---

Sure you do! And you will once we get all your armor together.

--- Quote from: Sword Chick on 2008-03-27, 14:24:21 ---In terms of something more practical, Mr. Christian Tobler suggested that something like what he is wearing and which is based on the effigy below would work quite well, especially since I have a new gambeson.

--- End quote ---

That's a pretty good suggestion. In those images, there's nothing on the arms, which I find interesting. Nevertheless, these look pretty good:

http://www.ageofarmour.com/instock/14_century_arms.html

Do you like that style of helm? The helm you want might also restrict the period a bit, if there's a certain look you'd like to go for. His suggestion is certainly good in terms of keeping the cost manageable.

Sword Chick:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-03-27, 14:45:44 ---
--- Quote from: Sword Chick on 2008-03-27, 14:24:21 ---Thanks, Ed.  I was already composing my post (and trying to get my attachments to work) so here I go again...

--- End quote ---

Woops, sorry. :)
--- End quote ---

Actually, that was a sincere thanks.  :)  I appreciate that you were watching out for me.

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-03-27, 14:45:44 ---That's a pretty good suggestion. In those images, there's nothing on the arms, which I find interesting. Nevertheless, these look pretty good:

--- End quote ---

No, I don't think those arms would work too well for me.  From the website "These arms are a medium length with a bit larger diameter. Best fit would be for someone around 5'10" and 200lbs though there is a bit of latitude."  I'm a bit smaller than that.  :)

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-03-27, 14:45:44 ---Do you like that style of helm? The helm you want might also restrict the period a bit, if there's a certain look you'd like to go for.
--- End quote ---

I do like the helm on the effigy.  However, I'm still very open to suggestions.

Another sincere thank you!

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sword Chick on 2008-03-27, 14:58:20 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-03-27, 14:45:44 ---That's a pretty good suggestion. In those images, there's nothing on the arms, which I find interesting. Nevertheless, these look pretty good:

--- End quote ---

No, I don't think those arms would work too well for me.  From the website "These arms are a medium length with a bit larger diameter. Best fit would be for someone around 5'10" and 200lbs though there is a bit of latitude."  I'm a bit smaller than that.  :)

--- End quote ---

Hah, I didn't read the fine print. :) It sounds like they'd fit me though.. maybe with some extra room.

OK, I'll keep my eyes open for others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version