Main > The Armoury

Pain In the Neck!

(1/6) > >>

Sir Patrick:
I armoured up in what I have of my early 14th century kit tonight and took the kids treak-or-treating.  It's the first time I've worn the helmet for any length of time and man do I have a crick in the neck!  I made a close-fitting, padded liner (the kind that makes you look like you have on a jester's cap until you tie the dags up at the top) so there was not a lot of movement, but by the end of the night I just wanted the thing off.  It's a 16 gauge crested sugarloaf (I've posted pics of on other threads).  Does anyone else have this problem with their helms?  Is there something wrong with my padding set-up, or do I just need to suck it up until my neck muscles get used to the weight?

Sir Wolf:
no it takes a lil time to build up the neck muscles. plus your crest is high and probably makes you have to do a balancing act whether you know it or not. any pics? hehehe. i noticed i had to wear my helmet with the bottom front tilted toward my neck and the face plate almost touching my nose in order for me to see out of mine. totally different than how i thought it should fit.

Sir Brian:
My sympathies to you good sir, I have experienced that pain numerous times!  :(

Surprisingly my sugarloaf with the visor gives me more neck fatigue than my crested great helm and I attribute that mainly to the gorget that I wear with the great helm and not with the sugarloaf helm.  ;)

Sir Edward:
Yeah, a lot of it has to do with getting used to the weight, and also your posture. I find the armor is less forgiving of bad posture in general. :)  But it could be your suspension. It's hard to know on a forum.

My sallet is the heavier helmet of mine, and I wore it all day at the renfaire with my plate armor. I did fine with it, even though I'm not used to doing it all day. With my great helm, I wear it only here and there and end up carrying it a lot. The sallet, with the visor up, wasn't a big deal to wear the whole time despite the weight. And my suspension isn't even all that snug. The helmet would end up shifting, and I had to keep straightening it, which is an annoyance, and yet I did OK.

So I'm not sure.  :-\

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2010-11-01, 12:55:46 ---My sympathies to you good sir, I have experienced that pain numerous times!  :(

Surprisingly my sugarloaf with the visor gives me more neck fatigue than my crested great helm and I attribute that mainly to the gorget that I wear with the great helm and not with the sugarloaf helm.  ;)

--- End quote ---

I was wondering if a gorget would help.  maybe I should invest in one :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version