Main > The Armoury

Maille Strapping

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Wolf:
i dunno, my tailored shirt at the faire didn't feel like it flopped that much. that is probably the biggest thing right there now that i think about it. properly tailored mail.!!!! i know my coif is big and needs to be tied but my old one fit perfectly so the new one isn't tailored to my head hehehe

Sir Brian:
There are no doubts that a properly tailored haubergeon or hauberk offers the most in mobility. My current haubergeon fits me the best “out of the box” per se but I still have to lace it up at key points to ensure I can maintain a full range of unrestricted motion. The main point I lace up is on my upper arm so my ¾ sleeves hangs at the correct spot so as not to interfere with the attachment of my couters and vambraces. The best part is my lacing is completely concealed, since I first pull the sleeves inside out and run the leather lacing on the underside of the sleeves. The laced up point makes a convenient ridge of maille that gets hung up on the straps of my spaulders.  ;)

Sir Edward:
We also have to remember that not everyone had mail tailored to them in period. A lot of armor was hand-me-downs, and battlefield salvage, and gifts from your lord, etc. It varied quite a lot. :)

Sir Patrick:
So do you guys think it was pointed to the gambeson, or just kind of tied off to take the slack out? 

Sir Wolf:
no i dont think so. not a hauberk anyways. now arming mail like voiders, skirts etc yes i do believe they were pointed or sewn into place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version