Main > The Armoury

Blackened helmet

(1/2) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Does anyone know where I could get a simple blackened helmet, preferably either kettle helm or Norman conical helm? If they don't sell them already blackened how do I blacken it myself?

Sir Wolf:
i had good luck with boiled linseed oil and an old grill.

WARNING boiled linseed oil is highly combustible and flammable. leaving the oil on a rag will cause it to combust if not discarded properly. i soaked mine afterwards in a 5 gallon bucket of water and left it in there.

I took an old CD helmet and cut it down. then i sanded off all of the color and painted the boiled linseed oil on with a brush. then i put it on an old grill in the middle of the yard and walked away. when I came back it was a nice shiny black with a little red hugh here and there. a little crusty on the edges where the oil dripped but that is easily overlooked.

could also try some metal bluing like used on rifles

Sir Ulrich:
Hmm now just to get a helm to do this to. Any suggestions on what helm would be good to do this to? I mean I want one that I can remove the liner easily so it doesn't burn off or whatever. The GDFB ones look nice for their price but I also saw this one http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=IR80699&name=Nasal+Spangenhelm not sure of the quality though.

Allan Senefelder:
Sir Wolf, the helmet finish looks great! Does it come out as a dense black or is it at all opaque? It looks dense almost like the consistancy of oil paint in the pic.

Sir Wolf:
umm i have to say i am not familiar with that paint color ;) hehehe

the roundels are different shades due to it was galvanized metal and all I had at the time.  the helm is solid 1 color but has some shine. hehe really hard to explain without seeing it hehe.

oh Allan, I will be emailing you in the month of Nov about those knees :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo hooo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version