Main > The Armoury

the early-mid 14thc surcoat

(1/3) > >>

Sir Wolf:
looking over the brassies graves and statues how do you think they were made?

to me it seems like a sleeveless surcoat that has some lacing up the sides from the waist line to the arm hole opening. the front of the surcoat is drastically shorter than the back. the back has no split.

is this just me? or do you think their artists just pulled up the fronts to show off the mail and coat of plates underneath it? do you think there is a straight line difference from teh fron to the back or do you think there is a slopping line that directs the angle from front to back?

Sir Brian:
My previous research on surcoats revealed that they had undergone just as many changes as the armor did during the transitional period. Short fronts with longer (tails almost) in the back, a precursor to the traditional tuxedo perhaps!  :D

Some had wide flowing sleeves while some were short sleeved or the typical no sleeves. I think going for something with a wide flowing sleeve would be cool…only because you don’t get to see that too often, much like the mail chausses.  ;)

Sir Wolf:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2010-10-28, 13:44:54 ---My previous research on surcoats revealed that they had undergone just as many changes as the armor did during the transitional period. Short fronts with longer (tails almost) in the back, a precursor to the traditional tuxedo perhaps!  :D

Some had wide flowing sleeves while some were short sleeved or the typical no sleeves. I think going for something with a wide flowing sleeve would be cool…only because you don’t get to see that too often, much like the mail chausses.  ;)

--- End quote ---

http://stores.renstore.com/-strse-292/Medieval-Military-Garment-Patterns/Detail.bok

like IV ? angelwing version?

Sir Patrick:
I never did get the whole angel wing thing.  It looks cool, but did they actually FIGHT in them?

Sir William:
LOL @ angelwing version - thought only monks wore their robes like that.

My jupon for next year is much in the style of figure II...sleeveless, instead of dagged, mine's castle/crenellation type of design.  But it is shorter in the front than the back, no split in the back but the sides of the garment are fully split to the shoulder and has ties to 'size' so to speak.  A jupon, not a CoP which I now realize is what I'm looking at in figure II.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version