Main > The Armoury

How to antique weapons and armor

(1/2) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Well I got this new practical norman sword. I want to somehow antique the hilt and blade a bit, but it's made of stainless steel most likely as it is not magnetic. Is there some kind of oil I can put on it to antique it and make it look a bit worn. It's supposed to be an "older model" of sword that's a hand me down as it's a 1000 AD sword for my 1250 AD persona. Kinda wanna do the same for my helmet as well just don't want it rusting out of control.

Dragonlover:
Being stainless, I'm not altogether sure there is anything you would want to put on it. the only safe way I would think to give it that "well-worn, antiqued" look, would be to handle it! Bill, Ed, or Wolf would probably have a recommendation. What say ya, lads?

Sir Edward:
It's hard to say with stainless. If it weren't, I'd probably just handle it a lot without oiling it! :) I'm not sure what a good method would be for intentionally aging it. I suppose you could bury it for a week and see what happens. :)

Disclaimer: I'm not actually recommending any of these things. Do so at your own risk!

Sir Patrick:
You might try this technique.  I used it on a wallhanger saber I had lying around, and it worked pretty well (though I'm not sure if it's applicable to stainless).

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_bench_ws_estoc.html

Sir William:
You said practical Norman...who made it, if I may ask?  Reason I ask is because the Hanwei ones are high-carbon steel (like their sharp counterparts) and as such, would be more amenable to the aging process.  Or you could bury it for a few months and dig it back up!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version