Main > The Armoury

Now THIS just isn't fair!

<< < (9/10) > >>

Sir Edward:

That's true, it's hard to beat the warranty on the Starfires! I'm not sure where their price-point is these days. I know the one I have wasn't very costly when I got it. Not everyone can afford Albion or A&A trainers. Thankfully there are other cost-effective options becoming available as late, from CAS Hanwei for instance, and the new line of Tinker swords (which I haven't had a chance to handle yet).

The Hanwei "practical" line is very good for the price, but I don't know about the long-term durability. My "hand and a half" works great as a single-hand trainer, but it seems that the leather wrap on the grips come apart very easily. So far the blade is holding up well though.

Sir James (Fiat Lux):
I'll have to look into some of those. Any particular suggestions? Preferably with a nice balance? The Starfires are quite blade-heavy.

Sir Edward:
That's the thing that really makes me not like the starfires. Their blade presence is like a crowbar. Heh, I forgot you guys use them. :)

Well, of course I love the A&A and Albion pieces, so I recommend those highly.

The CAS-Hanwei practical single-hand and practical hand-and-a-half are very serviceable for being so cheap. They do have thinner edges, so you don't want to hit with full force unless armored, but they're pretty safe even with just a gambeson (though as with any steel trainer, a mask and gauntlets are still necessary). Both of these swords work well as single-hand trainers. In fact, the hand-and-a-half has a lighter feel in this regard, and I prefer mine for that use.  These can be had in the < $150 range.

A&A (armor.com) has a "Scholar's Sword" that is quite good, but it certainly costs more, at about $360.

Longswords...

I don't have one of the CAS-Hanwei "Federschwert" swords, but I've gotten to handle them a bit. For the MSRP (about $130), they do pretty well. The blades are perhaps a bit too flexible, as they can be a little whippy. But they're light and quick, and cheap! Just don't buy them from the renfaire, since they might be considerably more expensive. I saw one for over $400 at the MD faire. Ridiculous. If you're going to pay that much, go get an Albion.

As for Albion, the Meyer is a great trainer. My only complaint is that the guard is wide enough to actually get in your way occasionally, but this usually isn't a problem. The balance is fantastic, the weight is just right. It flexes well and yet is not whippy. It's awesome. They also have one called the Liechtenauer, but to me it's more of a stage sword than a sparring sword. Others may disagree with me on that. The reason I feel that way is that it has a more visibly realistic blade shape, but also very thin edges that can hurt when struck through a gambeson.

A&A's Fechterspiel is excellent as well. I had one before I got the Meyer from Albion. I love them both, but the Meyer is a little nicer in my opinion.

These Albions and Fechterspiels are all in the mid to upper $400's.

I haven't had a chance to handle the Tinker swords, but they're another option, I think somewhere in the middle in terms of cost.

Sir Ulrich:
My first sword handled like crap, All it is to me is really a decorative piece. Was way too blade heavy and I couldn't swing it much. Looks nice when hung on the wall though.

The Practical Norman I bought is the best sword I own currently, handles pretty well, looks rather plain and grip isn't too bad. I've slammed my Norman onto a steel bin and it didn't chip at all so that's a good blunt trainer right there.

I handled some Starfires at the NY renaissance faire and I must say they may handle better than my first sword, my only real complaint was the lack of brazil nut pommels on them. Bit blade heavy as well but nothing TOO bad.

Albion swords are probably the best looking to me, shame i'll never be able to afford one anytime soon. I love how historically accurate simple and elegant they really are. Shame none of the trainers have the hilt type i'm looking for.

Sir Wolf:
i have an old cas ibera viking blunt and a paul binns. my cas does not like my binns hehehe it has many knicks and marks from being hit with it. but for the money its not bad and they have improved things. i just hate hate hate the new cas blade layout. why couldn't they leave it looking like a sword?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version