Main > The Armoury

Ed's Mid 14th C. kit

<< < (20/46) > >>

Das Bill:
While a COP would certainly be good, I personally think it would look great with a simple globose breastplate. Nothing fancy, just a single formed piece of steel with no rivets or articulations, like this one:

http://www.james-anderson-iii.com/_content/thearmory/pages/europeanarmor/large/128.jpg

Das Bill:
Speaking of breastplates, I've always been very fond of the cuir boulli breastplate shown on the attached illustration from the Osprey book Italian Medieval Armies 1300-1500. The book labels him as a Central Italian Horseman of the early 14th century. I don't know what sources they used, but I've always thought it looked great. I don't like most modern made leather armour because I think it tends to look very modern and far more fantasy than historical, but I've often thought about attempting to make a leather breastplate like this. I think it would look really good with your kit, particularly if you decided to also do leather greaves that matched.

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-05-25, 16:24:21 ---While a COP would certainly be good, I personally think it would look great with a simple globose breastplate. Nothing fancy, just a single formed piece of steel with no rivets or articulations, like this one:
--- End quote ---

I agree wholeheartedly.  I don't have any pictures of my new globose breastplate in action (replacing my COP), but I do have a photo fresh out of the box.  It's made by an armourer well know to this community who has very low pricing, high quality and excellent customer relationships.

Hint: Rhymes with mercy nary sailor.

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-05-25, 15:51:06 --- i'll try to bring some thick leather as well to put on teh inside of the arming coat to help distribute the pull on the point holes.
--- End quote ---

That's how my Revival Clothing arming cotte is done. In fact, Ed, I just helped David Rowe do this to his new pourpoint (not because of damage, but because he needed higher ones in order for his legs to sit right). It's really easy to do.

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Rodney on 2011-05-25, 16:59:27 ---I don't have any pictures of my new globose breastplate in action (replacing my COP), but I do have a photo fresh out of the box.  It's made by an armourer well know to this community who has very low pricing, high quality and excellent customer relationships.

Hint: Rhymes with mercy nary sailor.

--- End quote ---

I love that you guys have the besagews. Not a lot of people do that for 14th century kits, and I think that's a shame. They look great. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version