Main > The Armoury

Ed's Mid 14th C. kit

<< < (23/46) > >>

Sir Brian:
Nothing really to it Sir William! You wear the maille and pull the sleeve inside out to the location of where you want it secured, then hand your lovely assistant some leather lacing and instruct her to lace within every other ring and then tie it into a square knot. Leave enough length so you can make a loose loop knot to keep the lacing in the same location when you remove the maille.

The best part is when it is secured the maille hangs over the lacing, obscuring it even more.  ;)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-05-26, 16:19:38 ---sometimes i wonder how much mail was actually tied more like in the move kingdom of heaven. the artists may have just left it off the paintings etc so we don't think about the need. there's only so much tailoring that can be done with mail that makes it immobile or unable to put on one would think.

--- End quote ---

Yep, that's my theory. They just didn't bother to draw it, but there was probably a lot of lacing.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-05-26, 17:15:18 ---Nothing really to it Sir William! You wear the maille and pull the sleeve inside out to the location of where you want it secured, then hand your lovely assistant some leather lacing and instruct her to lace within every other ring and then tie it into a square knot. Leave enough length so you can make a loose loop knot to keep the lacing in the same location when you remove the maille.

The best part is when it is secured the maille hangs over the lacing, obscuring it even more.  ;)

--- End quote ---

You make it sound very simple...I assure you, I shall have problems.  LOL

Sir Wolf:
and this is why it is good to armour up with a good page! or other knights around you.

ugg what a pain in the butt it was at the "Steed" last year at MDRF. both putting it on and taking it off. my princess didn't know what to do nor was strong enough to help.. ehehehe

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-05-25, 16:24:21 ---While a COP would certainly be good, I personally think it would look great with a simple globose breastplate. Nothing fancy, just a single formed piece of steel with no rivets or articulations, like this one:

(img)
http://www.james-anderson-iii.com/_content/thearmory/pages/europeanarmor/large/128.jpg

--- End quote ---

That looks familiar. :D

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-05-25, 20:43:28 ---It's stainless, but has a black finish. The black is flaking off all over my floor, so I'm assuming it'll wear down and be less black over time.

--- End quote ---

Mine is doing the same, and oily while doing it, too. I've read about throwing it inside a few pillow cases and putting it in the dryer, but I think I'll take the safe route and get some sand, throw the mail and sand in a bucket, secure the lid on the bucket and roll it around for a while.

I saw a *really* nice setup drawn up many years back. It was a scale "skateboard" half-pipe that had a cutout directly down the middle all the way through, and a barrel with a ridge all the way around it that fit into that cutout (same concept as a train track). It was maybe 5' long and 4' high, as a best guess, ideal height would probably depend on the weight of the mail and how high one can lift it easily.

You would put the mail and sand in the barrel, secure the top, then lift it up the halfpipe and place it in the notch, then push it over the edge. It would roll down the halfpipe and up the other side, and would keep doing so for 4-6 times, so that you didn't have to constantly push it around.

It was designed to remove rust, and is based on (what I understand to be) period references to barrels of sand and other abrasives that were used to clean and polish the mail. A better alternative is a squire of course, but lacking that, it's a cool idea. Never did see one actually constructed, though the concept seems sound.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version