Main > The Armoury

Ed's Mid 14th C. kit

<< < (21/46) > >>

Sir Edward:

Yeah, I really like the look of some of that ornate leather as well. However I'll probably go with the breastplate at some point, I just need to pick who to get it from, etc.  And of course solve the gauntlet issue as well.  And greaves.

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-05-25, 17:07:27 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-05-25, 15:51:06 --- i'll try to bring some thick leather as well to put on teh inside of the arming coat to help distribute the pull on the point holes.
--- End quote ---

That's how my Revival Clothing arming cotte is done. In fact, Ed, I just helped David Rowe do this to his new pourpoint (not because of damage, but because he needed higher ones in order for his legs to sit right). It's really easy to do.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've done some attachment of thin leather on my arming cotte to add new points for my 15th C kit, but they're not really that strong either. I really want to see what everyone is doing with thicker leather.

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-05-25, 15:51:06 ---ya u need some triangles in the front and back. talk to james barker about what he did. they maybe on the side, i cant remember.

--- End quote ---

I added triangular sections into the sides on my aluminum set. That's probably the best place to add them. But of course, I still don't have the loose rings and rivets from KOA yet, just the riveting tool. So I don't know how I want to handle this. I could always put splits on the sides of the armor to accommodate sitting and moving a little better, and insert material there later when I get the rings. Dunno.

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-05-25, 15:51:06 ---hey, u want me to bring some tools next saturday to work on some of the bugs? i'll try to bring some thick leather as well to put on teh inside of the arming coat to help distribute the pull on the point holes.

--- End quote ---

Yep, bring what you've got. I still have some leather left over from working on my chausses, but I'm not sure how it compares to what you have. We'll play around with it.

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-05-25, 15:51:06 ---hehehe nice diamond ;) hahahahhaha sorry ehhehe

--- End quote ---

I see how it is... you lose weight, and then make fun of everyone else. :)

Sir Edward:

Oh, I forgot to report on my impression of the GDFB mail. At about 18 pounds, it's heavier than my aluminum, but not by a lot. The weight distributes well and is pretty comfortable.

It's much more difficult to put on than I'm used to, due to a combination of the sizing and the rivets catching on fabric, etc. The flat rings make the mail slightly less flexible and compressible than my aluminum set, so it tends to get really rigid and bind up on itself when trying to put it on, whereas my aluminum just slides itself into place with just gravity.

In terms of the sizing aspect, on the website they say 50" chest, and on the phone they said 48". The rule of thumb is to leave at least 4" over your actual measurement, but this technically leaves me more like 7" (I measure about 41"). Even so, it has less give than my aluminum set which is also tailored for a close fit.

It's stainless, but has a black finish. The black is flaking off all over my floor, so I'm assuming it'll wear down and be less black over time.

They didn't taper the sleeves, or have a widened base, so these are things I need to work on myself. At some point... someday when the loose links/rivets actually ship to me. In the meantime I can still taper the sleeves and just use butt-links to close the seam.

Even with the plate components and steel mail, I think this is my lightest harness so far.

Sir Wolf:
nice :)

Sir William:
What's amazing is how heavy it all gets when you add on this or that...anyone try running in their harness yet?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-05-26, 14:19:31 ---What's amazing is how heavy it all gets when you add on this or that...anyone try running in their harness yet?

--- End quote ---

I've gotten up to a light jog in my kits. It's doable, I just don't like how a lot of it flops around. If I were really going to war with it, I think the mail would have to be tied down in a lot more places. And I'd just have to accept that the tassets on my plate armor would just be bouncing all over the place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version