Main > The Armoury

(was ailettes) now working on my kit

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sir William:
You know, at the risk of revealing my overarching gaming nerdiness, I noticed similar arming pieces on Crusader knights in the first game of Assassin's Creed...instead of curving around the shoulder like an espalier, these were flat and looked to be of a hardened leather or steel.  I know, I know, just a game, but they got their inspiration from somewhere, I prefer to believe it to have been somewhat historically accurate with regard to armor, weapons and styles of dress.  Plus, the guidebook had large illustrations so I was able to get a good look, so to speak.  Anyone else play it?  It is still one of my most favorite games of all time; from time to time I'll plug it in just to go a-hunting in the Holy Land!

I never knew what they were called, though. 

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2010-10-08, 13:27:41 ---EXCELLENT! Well done indeed! Do you have any pictures of you wearing them? It is such a rare treat to see a harness with ailettes!  :)

--- End quote ---

Not yet.  I'm hoping to get my gambeson project going in the next two weeks, and then I'll actually have something to attach them to ;D!  

--- Quote from: Paladin on 2010-10-08, 13:33:48 ---A matching surcoat would be smashing!
--- End quote ---

I have one I threw together earlier out of a canvas tarp.  It's quartered red and natural, but the more I've studied, the less I like it.  It's too short and poorly tailored.   I'll make another one after I finish my gambeson so I can be more sure of the fit.  I plan on going solid red with a large ermine cinquefoil on the chest.

Sir William:
I like yours too, Red Knight, never seen a cincefoil before I saw your shield; I'm assuming that's the 5-lobed...thing...of which there are three on your shield.

Sir Wolf:
Red Knight, what size did you make yours? I cut and dyed some leather ones but I'm not real happy with them so I didn't attach them to any wood etc. is that red dye or paint?

Sir Patrick:
The leather panel started out as 9x7, but when it boiled, it shrunk (and also got thicker) to 7x5.  They will still work (though I wouldn't go any smaller), but I think next time I will size them after boiling.  I didn't this time because I read trying to cut them after was a PITA.  All colors are acrylic paint.  A post on another forum says it works well on leather (adhesion, flexibility), and so far I've had no problems.  I predrilled all the holes in the leather and wood, then glued the felt down (avoiding placing any glue near the holes).  Stitched together with aftificial sinew, which I went over with a Sharpie on the back side, paint on the front.  Here's a useful link on boiling leather for armour:  http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/Perfect_Armor_Improved.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version