Main > The Armoury

Buying a Sword

<< < (4/5) > >>

Sir Brian:
Very nice! How does it feel?

Sir Ancelyn:
It is very light, just a few pounds.  My living room ceiling now has a scratch on it . . . oops. :-D

It is more comfortable with two hands than one.  It seems to balance about 6 or 7 inches down from the hilt (is that right for a 39 inch long blade?).  The hilt itself is as, I mentioned, rather long.  Given the shape, it is more comfortable holding it with my hands apart than together.

All in all, I m happy.

Sir Matthew:
I think that in the end the most important thing is are you happy with you weapon.  I currently carry a Windlass for my Faire blade, and I really like it alot.  It's an early version of the sidesword and I got it from the pirate ship at PaRF for something ridiculous like $30 during one of their pirate auctions.  It's definitely a waster, but let's face it, for Faire do you really want to drag out a $1000 sword every weekend?  The one I carry is pretty accurate for the period and looks awesome, at Faire I think that is really the point.  And most of all, I like the sword!

Dragonlover:
The important thing Ancelyn, is that the sword feel comfortable for you. A point of balance is a nice reference, but it all comes down to individuality. A sword that Bill likes may be too long or whippy for me, and vice versa. We aren't playing with it, you are. As a martial artist, anything you utilize should feel as an extension so only you will know what sort of speed or power you can generate. Enjoy and go buy a tin of spackle!

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ancelyn on 2010-06-05, 19:31:35 ---Probably not the most historically acurate blade I could get, but for the price I'm happy.  This makes sword #1. :-D

--- End quote ---

Congrats!. :)

I have one of these as well, but I got the earlier version. I'm assuming yours is the newer version, where they fixed the problems with the pommel. The older version, like mine, has a balance point about 8 or 9" in front of the guard, because the pommel is hollow and the wood grip core extends all the way back to the pommel's peen. Not only does this result in a very forward-heavy feel, but the pommels had a tendency to break.

The newer version has a solid pommel, and fixes both issues, bringing the balance point to around 5 or 6" from the guard / blade base.

I think the blade is actually extremely good for the price-point. It's not whippy, but I was still able to flex it 90 degrees (!!!!!) without any problem, and have it spring true.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version