Main > The Armoury

new armour

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sir Matthew:
Sir Brian,
   That mail looks really nice and the price looks as if it has come down.  That was the style I was looking to go with originally and if it were not for the fact that this weekend I bought a hand cannon for me, ordered a matchlock musket for me and bought a longbow for my wife, I would probably jump on that mail now.  As it is, I have spent way too much so I fear it will be a while before that comes up for purchase again.

Sir Brian:
I believe it was $200.00 more last year when I was pricing the steel riveted. I really like that they
alternate the rows with solid rings as well. If I recall correctly that is about as authentic maille can
get...  :-\

Sir Matthew:
Perhaps in a year or so when I am again looking at getting rivited maille, the price will have dropped another $200  ;) .  One can only hope.  I'll admit, I am not really sure what was authentically done in period, beyond that I know both riveted and welded were made.  Butted was also used, though from what I seem to recall this sounded like it was more of the quick mend and fix correctly later thing than any permanent use on battlefield armor.

Sir Wolf:
for your time period the 1/2 to 3/4 sleeve would serve you best.

as to the historicalness (that a word?) of mail. there aren't any mail makers out there besides Eric Schmitt(sp?) that can do riveted totally correct.

for 14th century both round ring and flat ring riveted should be fine. I would use the flat ring riveted with alternating rows of solid rings.

there are no welded rings in period. all of the solid rings are stamped from steel. there are some examples of butted rings BUT they are 1. only found on items believed to be ceremonial and very early on such as pre roman and 2. being revised to find out that many are in fact welded just to corroded to have been noticed before

Das Bill:
Sir Wolf is absolutely correct. All of the mass-produced mail is innaccurate to some degree, though much of the wedge rivetted mail is "close enough for government work". If you examine the real stuff closely, its very clearly not up to snuff, but conidering the current options and pricing its our best bet.

--- Quote from: madmanpsu on 2010-04-21, 21:56:34 ---  Butted was also used, though from what I seem to recall this sounded like it was more of the quick mend and fix correctly later thing than any permanent use on battlefield armor.
--- End quote ---

There's no evidence of this in Europe, as far as I know. Butted was used in very late period Indian armor (i.e. stuff that wasn't used for serious hand to hand combat), and it was used to connect certain parts of Japanese plate armor (i.e. it wasn't the actual defense, but was really just used in lieu of ties).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version