Main > The Armoury

Armor - pronunciation

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Matthew:
i know exactly what you mean with Maille, which is why when writing, I ussually try to use the anachronistic spelling maille, instead of mail.  I've tried explaining the difference of maille, plate and maille and plate armors to guys I game several times with and they just look at me and sigh every time. 

Sir Edward:
Thankfully I never got into the habit of saying "platemail" from my D&D days.

Sir Brian:
"It's plate armor with chainmail underneath...I'll call it Platemail" ~ from the lost notebook of Gary Gygax  ;)

Sir Matthew:
I always thought platemail was the lazy way of saying plate and maille, or they were simply dumbing down the term for simplification of the game.   :'(

Das Bill:
Actually, believe it or not, it doesn't originate from D&D (though D&D popularized the term). Its what Victorian scholars called it. In fact, they called most armor "mail". There's no such thing as plate mail, scale mail, banded mail, ring mail, etc. Plate armor at least is sometimes combined with mail, so at least that could almost make sense... but the rest of the names don't even involve mail, so its strange that they named the armors that way. Ring mail is the worst, because that's what mail is. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version