Main > The Armoury

Armor - pronunciation

(1/4) > >>

Sir Edward:

I was thinking about this again recently, and decided to take another look at the dictionary concerning the word "coif".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coif

Here it says it's pronounced with the "koif" pronunciation typically, and "kwaf" in the second sense, which refers to an arrangement of hair.

I used to always pronounce it in the more French sort of "kwaf" in past years, but for the last few I've been trying to adjust to the anglicized "koif" pronunciation.

I really hope the dictionary is right on this one. I'd hate to keep flip-flopping back and forth.

What other pieces of armor do you think there's a lot of confusion on the pronunciation?

Sir Wolf:
sallet
bevor
gorget
beesagues
barbute(a)
gambeson/aketon/arming jacket/jack/ etc definitions

Sir Edward:
Yeah, my current understanding is that sallet, gorget, armet, tasset, and bascinet all have the same "et" as "helmet" or "wallet".

Sir Matthew:
I have heard sallet pronounced sal-lay and gorget pronounced Gor-jay.  The other two I have always heard -et as in hem-et.

Sir Edward:

Yeah, there's a strong tendency for people to want to pronounce them with a French pronunciations, but it's my understanding that they're English words (perhaps bastardizations of French words), and should have a hard T.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version