Main > The Armoury

Help fix boring Helm

<< < (6/13) > >>

Sir Edward:
As an aside, I did some quick googling, and it looks like paper mache was invented in China about two thousand years ago. It didn't become popular in Europe until the 17th century, but doll heads may have been made out of it in the 16th. So I'm guessing it wasn't used in crests until the 16th or 17th, but as a modern tool it can certainly get the job done cheaply.

It's very popular amongst the Halloween hobbyists, where you can see some amazing detail. Check out this site: http://pumpkinrot.com/. All his props are paper mache, using paper towels.

Sir William:
It is amazing what a little creativity can accomplish; on the Assassin's Creed forum, I ran into some youngsters who fashioned their own costumes long before Windlass got involved; some of them of course were very rudimentary but there were others that were quite detailed and when you realized all they had to work with was cardboard, aluminum foil and cast-off sheets of material, it was very impressive.

One of those kids actually managed to make the retractable hidden blade out of cardboard and tin foil and it actually slid in and out of the harness with just a quick motion of his arm!  Yea, I was pretty quiet on those particular threads having nothing to offer along the same lines.

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote ---I did some quick googling, and it looks like paper mache was invented in China about two thousand years ago. It didn't become popular in Europe until the 17th century, but doll heads may have been made out of it in the 16th. So I'm guessing it wasn't used in crests until the 16th or 17th
--- End quote ---

I got to thinking about that after I posted and was going to Google that myself when I got home from work.  Why was I looking up paper mache?! ???

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: The Red Knight on 2010-10-15, 01:14:51 ---I got to thinking about that after I posted and was going to Google that myself when I got home from work.  Why was I looking up paper mache?! ???

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't sweat it. They were made out of all sorts of materials, so fudging the century in terms of the material isn't a huge deal in my book. :)

Sir Patrick:
The helm is done.  I finished the mantel tonight.  Here's a few pics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version