"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Gifts for the kids  (Read 19910 times)

Dragonlover

Re: Gifts for the kids
« Reply #30 on: 2010-09-18, 13:28:12 »
Those are indeed the sort of people a shinai was invented for, lol.....
Bye the bye, welcome to the forum Paladin.... :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2010-09-21, 13:39:24 »
Thank you, Sir Andrew, much obliged.  And we're agreed...but I have a question for you; what with MDRF's weapons policy, they seem to have no problem selling the shaped wooden clubs to all patrons.  Wonder if any bludgeonings have taken place thus far...
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Dragonlover

« Reply #32 on: 2010-09-21, 15:08:29 »
I'm not sure about this season my good Sir, but Sir edward, Sir Brian and myself all have horror stories in dealing with wooden wasters.... >:(

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2010-09-21, 16:48:35 »
I've read some of them; I never knew that parents encouraged their kids to take a whack at other faire-goers...I mean, it can be all in good fun but how about asking first?  I think I commented in that thread that I'd start confiscating said sticks and using them on the offending parents should they ask for them back.  Jerks.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #34 on: 2010-09-21, 17:05:04 »

Thankfully such jerks are rare, but they're out there. It's re-assuring when the parents are on the ball though. This past weekend, I was sitting on a bench, with my helmet beside me. A little boy (probably about 3 or 4 years old) came up, and he started feeling and tapping the helmet. His parents quickly shouted over to him to stop. It was fine in this case, but I was pleased that his parents were right there and keeping a watchful eye.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2010-09-21, 19:24:16 »
Yea, I like the ones who are respectful.  Had one woman bring her shy little guy over to check me out and it seemed she knew a bit about the subject; that's always reassuring, when the parents have a knowledge of what it is we do.  It isn't just costuming to them...which is good, because it isn't that for me either.