Main > The Armoury

Late 12th / Early 13th Century Kit

<< < (4/5) > >>

Silvanus:
Thank you, Sir Wolf,

I can't sew, but perhaps it's time to learn! At least I will sew up the sides of my surcoat a bit; I will bribe someone to take in the shoulders some. And that's a good idea about tailoring the chausis; I will work on that.

In place of the gauntlet plates, after they are removed, Sir Edward also had the idea of attaching some mail from the forearm to the sleeves of the hauberk as well. I have plenty of extra mail for that. (Glad I did not purchase some vambraces!)

I live in Northern Virginia and attend MDRF as often as I can. Hopefully every other weekend. Hope to see you there.

Thanks again.

Silvanus:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2009-09-07, 13:58:06 ---you may also want to make a wrap belt for your kit. I made mine and its super easy.  it ties instead of buckles at the wasit and ties around the scabbard. it really keeps teh scabard in place and would be more correct for your persona

--- End quote ---

That sounds like a super idea! It would save me from having to buy that $75 belt.

Is there any way you could include a photo of the finished belt? Or a quick list of ingredients?

Sir Wolf:
all it is is 2 pieces of leather from 1 to 2 inches wide. here is the diagram showing how it laces to the scabbard. you don't necessarily have to interweave the belt threw the leather on the scabbard. just wrap it tight around etc.  easy to mkae and doesn't move off the hip

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2009-09-07, 13:31:53 ---can you sew? I would cut back the arm/shoulder area a little of the surcoat and the sew it down teh sides a tad.  This would keep the soulders from lookin glike wings
--- End quote ---

As an alternate to sewing the sides you can also add eyelets and lace the sides up. Still very period and offers a
bit more room. Sewing it closed looks like it may make the surcoat too snug IMHO. Four or five eyelets an 1.5" to
2" apart on each side should do.

What you might want to consider for sewing is adding a slit front and back on the surcoat to allow you to sit
in a saddle!  ;)

Sir Wolf:
i like that helmet but would almost avoid that one. there is no nose room. as Sir Edward can tell you he saw a lord that had his nose pushed firmly up against the visor. i would go with this one: http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=AB2968  or http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~AB0359~name~Crusader+Flat+Top+Helm.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version