Main > The Armoury

Late 12th / Early 13th Century Kit

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir Edward:
Looking good! I like what you've done with the ties on the legs, keeping the mail in close. I believe this was done in period, and it looks good. The boot project is a nice idea, giving it the look of complete chauses that cover the shoes.

I'm finding similar problems with some of the cheaper sword frogs out there-- they flop around too much. You probably will be a lot happier with that belt, and I believe it's more period correct too.

As for the cuffs on the gauntlets, I think technically for your period you'd have mail going all the way down your arm. Have you thought about making mail sleeve extensions? Or you could extend mail back from the hand (like a long opera glove) and bind it in under the existing sleeve with ties or points. It still wouldn't be 100% accurate, but like the boot coverings, would give the right sort of look by having the appearance of continuous mail.

Sir Brian:
I can't really add anything more than what has already been posted but as I also stated before I am
very impressed with your kit!  Huzzah! :)

Thanks especially for the action shots! I don't get to see enough of those from our resident students
of the blade here! (insert subtle hint here:)  ;)

Sir Wolf:
wow I'm impressed. very nice.

some "pointers"

can you sew? I would cut back the arm/shoulder area a little of the surcoat and the sew it down teh sides a tad.  This would keep the soulders from lookin glike wings

I like the boot mail and the chausis. If you feel they flap too much and you don't want that many ties, you could always tailor the mail a tad. take some of the rings out etc.  Mine are sewn with a leather thong up the back of the calf.  Once tied you can not see the laceing and it stays nice and tight. dang it not I want mail over my shoes!! darn you ehhehe

the guantlets work well but like ti was said I really think the plate needs to go.  if I were you I would add mail up the forearm and either lace or perm attach the guantlets to the shirt.  It would make a really cool look!

overall I like it.  where do you live? do you goto the MD faire? hehehe

Sir Wolf:
you may also want to make a wrap belt for your kit. I made mine and its super easy.  it ties instead of buckles at the wasit and ties around the scabbard. it really keeps teh scabard in place and would be more correct for your persona

I am thinking over the shield. I think you are ok with a heater, but a kite is an option too :) or even a flat topped kite.

Silvanus:
Thank you, Sir Edward. I will remove the plates from the gauntlets this week, and come up with a mail-extension for the forearms. As for the sword frog problem, I may order the belt today, but will try something else first, using another belt. All this advice is very exciting!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version