"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Your Ideal Armour 1066 - 1546  (Read 37769 times)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
Re: Your Ideal Armour 1066 - 1546
« Reply #30 on: 2016-07-22, 23:00:33 »
I don't like Stainless for helms as it doesn't deform and eat energy as well. So for armor bits that really should deform to protect the wearer it can not be good.

If it doesn't deform, is that a good thing though?  I mean a helmet that doesn't dent or break is a good thing.  And what do you mean by eats energy?
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2016-07-23, 05:16:57 »
When something deforms it absorbs the incoming energy. Like a cushion or a crumple zone.

When armor dents it eats up some of the incoming energy and keeps that energy from being transferred past itself. So now it has spread out the impact via hardness and then eaten it via deformation.

Like how sparring rapiers work to protect the opponent. If they didn't then both the one hit, and the hitters wrist, would be unhappy right?

Talk to SCA fighters or HMB/ACL guys enough and you'll hear stories about times they got creamed and felt nothing even though their armor was badly dented and potentially destroyed by the incoming blow because the armor worked as designed and in deformation, weight, and spreading of impact ate up the incoming energy. Armor works partly by taking advantage of the physics behind an Inelastic Collision to reduce the amount of energy transferred to the wearer.

Yes one can use these same physics to hurt someone's brain (see a boxing glove) but the armor, when it dents (aka deformation), is helping prevent harm to the wearer which becomes important when you start talking about brains in helms.

Stainless steel doesn't deform as easily and thus once all the energy that can be eaten via mass & padding has been the rest is transferred to the wearer. Not too bad for gauntlets, rather bad for helms. This is why we see injuries in a gauge of stainless that would not have occurred with mild or spring.

And isn't controlled deformation a key component of longswords, rapiers, armingswords, and zweihanders too?

« Last Edit: 2016-07-23, 22:53:05 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
« Reply #32 on: 2016-07-23, 20:36:03 »
That's a very good explanation. Thank you.
"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #33 on: 2016-07-24, 05:15:29 »
A quick glace at my mild steel SCA helm confirms Thorsteinn's theory.  Glancing surfaces combined with energy absorption (dents) have saved my skull many times.  Plus, the dents look cool.   8)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #34 on: 2016-07-31, 00:32:51 »
When something deforms it absorbs the incoming energy. Like a cushion or a crumple zone.

When armor dents it eats up some of the incoming energy and keeps that energy from being transferred past itself. So now it has spread out the impact via hardness and then eaten it via deformation.

Like how sparring rapiers work to protect the opponent. If they didn't then both the one hit, and the hitters wrist, would be unhappy right?

Talk to SCA fighters or HMB/ACL guys enough and you'll hear stories about times they got creamed and felt nothing even though their armor was badly dented and potentially destroyed by the incoming blow because the armor worked as designed and in deformation, weight, and spreading of impact ate up the incoming energy. Armor works partly by taking advantage of the physics behind an Inelastic Collision to reduce the amount of energy transferred to the wearer.

Yes one can use these same physics to hurt someone's brain (see a boxing glove) but the armor, when it dents (aka deformation), is helping prevent harm to the wearer which becomes important when you start talking about brains in helms.

Stainless steel doesn't deform as easily and thus once all the energy that can be eaten via mass & padding has been the rest is transferred to the wearer. Not too bad for gauntlets, rather bad for helms. This is why we see injuries in a gauge of stainless that would not have occurred with mild or spring.

And isn't controlled deformation a key component of longswords, rapiers, armingswords, and zweihanders too?

Gotcha, thank you for the explanation.  Now I understand.  You were saying that it is susceptible to dentures.  Looks like I will have to do more research.

A quick glace at my mild steel SCA helm confirms Thorsteinn's theory.  Glancing surfaces combined with energy absorption (dents) have saved my skull many times.  Plus, the dents look cool.

I like that, more like battle scars proven by the many dents on the helmet. 

Looks like spring steel is the better choice. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Tancreid de Rouen

• Knight of the White Lily
  • New Forum Member
  • Christo et Doctrinae
« Reply #35 on: 2018-11-28, 21:41:13 »
Honestly something like this is my favorite aesthetically. It may be because Ive always been a nerd for the crusades but it just looks right haha. The kit Im putting together is earlier (1170's) but this... this is just beautiful
cum gladio et ignis