"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Suspending a Leg Harness  (Read 52052 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Suspending a Leg Harness
« Reply #60 on: 2015-04-21, 01:36:45 »
It looks like he just made a big rectangle, it needs to be shaped to match the curve of the hips to function optimally.   When rolled out it actually should be more of a U shape with the upper edge shorter than the lower edge.

The U shape will prevent it from sliding down over time because the length of the top edge is less than your hip circumference, so it can't slip off.  A rectangle will tend to slide down over time, or bunch up because at no point is it less than the widest circumference of your body.  I've attached a really bad track-pad drawing of the basic idea.  My design is also set up to buckle in the back.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-23, 00:17:47 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 2015-04-23, 00:05:12 »
^ second what Sir Ian said

Look at the C-Belt shaping as an example too.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #62 on: 2015-07-13, 07:58:22 »
Questions for you guys: What would be the difference between using Ian's girdle idea (linen or leather with tie points) and using a leather kidney belt with the cross straps and buckles?? Would there be historical variation, difference, or significance?? Kidney belts are more protection than support from a Roman-Greco era when Gladiators fought but seems it would work the same in principle for Crusader era maille chausses or even plate armor (depending on how you rig the suspension). It might be more rigid but certainly seems feasible. Thoughts???
« Last Edit: 2015-07-13, 08:30:52 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #63 on: 2015-07-13, 13:57:13 »
Questions for you guys: What would be the difference between using Ian's girdle idea (linen or leather with tie points) and using a leather kidney belt with the cross straps and buckles?? Would there be historical variation, difference, or significance?? Kidney belts are more protection than support from a Roman-Greco era when Gladiators fought but seems it would work the same in principle for Crusader era maille chausses or even plate armor (depending on how you rig the suspension). It might be more rigid but certainly seems feasible. Thoughts???

The historical significance is that there's no evidence for a kidney belt in the middle ages, or anything discretely worn to protect the kidneys.  Obviously things like a Coat of Plates or the fauld on a cuirass, or maille would do it, but a kidney belt is something else entirely.  Nothing like that shows up in any armory inventories that I'm aware of, which is likely where they would show up if they existed since they wouldn't be a visible layer in artwork. 

That being said, a kidney belt may physically work to support a pair of chausses, it's just not optimal.  The shape is basically a rectangle with a swell in the middle to protect the kidneys, so it will probably tend to ride down over time.  That's why a normal belt isn't that great either.  The materials for the kidney belt are also not ideal.  The reason for not using thick rigid materials like that are important.  The thicker and more rigid the material, the more it will dig in to your hips and make wear uncomfortable.  The reason for wearing a flexible, supple leather or textile is to use something that conforms naturally to the body.  With increased application of downward force on something flexible and conforming, you may feel increased pressure, but you won't get edges digging in to your hip bones and skin.  With any sort of thick, rigid material, over time you will get that feeling like your belt is cutting in to you.  The downward force will be variable as you move around, so you don't want something that will cause you pain every time you lift your leg and it tugs on your support system. 
My Pinterest

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #64 on: 2015-07-14, 03:21:25 »
... With any sort of thick, rigid material, over time you will get that feeling like your belt is cutting in to you.  The downward force will be variable as you move around, so you don't want something that will cause you pain every time you lift your leg and it tugs on your support system.

Been there, done that, not going back!   :o
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #65 on: 2015-07-14, 23:33:31 »
That being said, a kidney belt may physically work to support a pair of chausses, it's just not optimal.

It will, and it is not.

(C-Belt vs Kidney belt, but same idea)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 2015-08-17, 16:28:29 »
Here's my current thinking on the 'historical' ways to accomplish this comfortably (also added to the arming series thread and the first post in this thread):

My Pinterest

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
« Reply #67 on: 2015-09-14, 21:38:34 »
Patterned, cut, batted and tacked. I'll go to quilting and sewing tomorrow I think. However, I am undecided on wether or not to get pvc for a quilting frame, rather than just keeping it lax across my knee.
Shiny.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #68 on: 2017-08-05, 17:25:59 »
ive tried period and non period ways of doing this. stuff still sags, twists, pulls on the hips, back or shoulders.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #69 on: 2017-08-10, 01:53:32 »
I've had pretty good luck with the lendenier this year