"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: New translation of Iberian treatise  (Read 7403 times)

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
New translation of Iberian treatise
« on: 2017-08-22, 01:17:46 »
I received the following email and wanted to pass it on to interested parties:

St. Louis's own Tim Rivera (whom many of you have met) has published the first English translation of the 16th century fencing treatise from which the Spanish Swordsmanship Society has been working over the past couple of years.

It is our sincere hope that many English speaking groups will begin creating their own interpretations of this unique work. HEMA is something of an experimental endeavor after all—the more folks studying a system the more we all learn. Even if you aren't interested in a comprehensive & broadly applicable 16th century sidesword system, you may want to support HEMA scholarship or even St. Louis HEMA in general.

Just to be clear, no one is making any money off this project. Like most work in HEMA it is done at a loss, for the benefit of the community and a practical understanding of history.

You can acquire the book at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Iberian-Swordplay-Domingo-Godinhos-Fencing/dp/193743933X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503090174&sr=8-1&keywords=Iberian+swordplay

Also available from the publisher Freelance Academy:
http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/iberianswordplaydomingoluisgodinhosartoffencing1599.aspx

"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New translation of Iberian treatise
« Reply #1 on: 2017-10-01, 19:11:20 »
Neat!  :D
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
Re: New translation of Iberian treatise
« Reply #2 on: 2017-12-03, 22:49:37 »
Awesome!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.