Main > The Armoury

Aluminum Swords

<< < (2/3) > >>

jason77:
Thanks for the suggestions. I am surprised to hear that the Hanwei hand and half sword was not suitable for longsword techniques and that it lack flex for safe thrusts. I asked Aaron over at Sword Carolina about this sword in particular for my wife because the standard longswords are really too long for her at 5'1". Aaron said they had one in their club which they use at times and that he would allow it in tournament as well.

Albion is pretty much the gold standard and their prices reflect this but they do have a lay away program for orders over $500.00.

Thorsteinn:
Brian what do you think of this one?

'Practical' series German longsword

Ian:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2016-07-27, 23:46:41 ---Brian what do you think of this one?

--- End quote ---

That's the sword we always use when I train with Bob.  KoA sells them for something like $45 cheaper :)

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2016-07-27, 23:59:02 ---
--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2016-07-27, 23:46:41 ---Brian what do you think of this one?

--- End quote ---

That's the sword we always use when I train with Bob.  KoA sells them for something like $45 cheaper :)

--- End quote ---

I bought the much earlier generation sharp from Ed a couple years back. The sharp version was a little heavy in the blade for my tastes but it was a great pumpkin cutter! If Ian and Bob use it I can only surmise that they had substantially improved the balance. The longer grip is definitely a favorite feature for my bear paws. KOA usually does undercut Hal's prices by at least 10%.

Sir James A:
7 years of use of aluminum is only part of the equation. Used weekly? Used in tournaments? Used an hour a week, or 4 hours a week?

I've seen 5 year old steel swords that are still in use. I've seen swords with manufacturing issues get twisted or damaged within a few months, but that's a flaw of fabrication, not material.

Best bet is to go with suggestions of those in your local training group, as they'll be the ones you are hitting most of the time. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version