"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Help Make Jousting an Olympic Sport  (Read 9524 times)

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
Help Make Jousting an Olympic Sport
« on: 2016-07-21, 20:19:17 »
English Heritage is collecting signatures to petition the Olympic committee to recognize jousting as an Olympic sport. You can sign the petition and lend your support by going to https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/forms/petition.

"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: Help Make Jousting an Olympic Sport
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-24, 05:00:38 »
Done!   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-25, 13:56:16 »
Signed :)
"Diligo bonus quod contemno malum"

Azure, a saltire argent charged nine mascles azure

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-28, 17:47:07 »
Sealed.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-30, 21:15:33 »
Delivered.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2016-07-31, 03:27:01 »
I'm yours.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lady Jouster

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: 2016-08-25, 15:01:04 »
As a jouster, I will not sign. I hate to say it, but I just don't see jousting as an Olympic sport working and I would hate to see a ton of concessions made until it no longer resembles the sport we know and love. I worry about the repercussions on those of us already performing jousts to our own high standards.

To be an Olympic sport, there would have to be strict guidelines and most likely it would require modern sport armor for horse and rider, which would make it financially out of reach for many of us already in the lysts, and destroy the beautiful image we try so hard to create. Nothing says history and chivalry like kevlar armor... Thus, those with money (and perhaps not the horse experience and skill) might be tempted to "break into" the sport for the Olympic notoriety.

I prefer jousting as it is now, a widely varied sport with many different styles populated by people who love the sport. Yes, it has its problems (some big ones to be honest), but I don't see making it an Olympic sport improving any of them. And it could make them worse, as the folks that are the problem children of jousting are the ones I see being most likely to pursue competing in the Olympics. I hate seeing people joust for perceived glory, at the expense of the horse, rather than love of horses, history, and chivalry. So I, for one, will take a pass on this.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #7 on: 2016-08-27, 05:22:06 »
Thank you for sharing your (well informed) perspective.  You raise many points I had not considered!   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2016-08-31, 02:16:15 »
As a jouster, I will not sign. I hate to say it, but I just don't see jousting as an Olympic sport working and I would hate to see a ton of concessions made until it no longer resembles the sport we know and love. I worry about the repercussions on those of us already performing jousts to our own high standards.

To be an Olympic sport, there would have to be strict guidelines and most likely it would require modern sport armor for horse and rider, which would make it financially out of reach for many of us already in the lysts, and destroy the beautiful image we try so hard to create. Nothing says history and chivalry like kevlar armor... Thus, those with money (and perhaps not the horse experience and skill) might be tempted to "break into" the sport for the Olympic notoriety.

I prefer jousting as it is now, a widely varied sport with many different styles populated by people who love the sport. Yes, it has its problems (some big ones to be honest), but I don't see making it an Olympic sport improving any of them. And it could make them worse, as the folks that are the problem children of jousting are the ones I see being most likely to pursue competing in the Olympics. I hate seeing people joust for perceived glory, at the expense of the horse, rather than love of horses, history, and chivalry. So I, for one, will take a pass on this.

I know Tobias Capwell had similar thoughts. This Idea some much talk my Dad even heard them talking about it on the local Radio.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"